Buyer Lost Title

Jurisdiction
Florida
So I sold my car in the state of Florida in 2019 and forgot to make a copy of the title I gave to the buyer, but I have a bill of sale. Three weeks after I sold the car I provided the DMV with the bill of sale and told them that I sold the car. One year after the sale took place the buyer is in prison and the buyer's wife tells me that he never registered the car to his name and now she wants me to get a duplicate title and transfer the car to her name because they lost the original title signed by me a year ago when the sale took place and she only has the bill of sale which is not enough to register the car. I know she is the buyer's wife, assuming that she is telling the truth and the buyer gave her permission to do this what would be the legal consequences of me asking for a duplicate title a year after I sold the car (I reported the sale to the DMV last year) and then transferring that duplicate title to her now in 2020.

If I get the duplicate title should I put the original date of sale (last year) and transfer the title to her?. What would you recommend in this situation?. This is an old car (year 2002).

what would be the legal consequences of me asking for a duplicate title a year after I sold the car (I reported the sale to the DMV last year) and then transferring that duplicate title to her now in 2020.

It would mean that you sold the same car twice to two different buyers. You can't do that. You no longer own the car so you have no right to transfer title to anyone.

The husband should apply for a FL Bonded Title and then transfer the car to his wife.

Back