Consumer Fraud Buyer is requiring refund of deposit for puppy for a bogus reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Paws

I am selling a litter of AKC registered puppies for $800 each. These are high quality dogs. I required and received a $300 deposit from a buyer. With the deposit she was give the reserved spot the 2nd choice of a female from the litter. The deposit was received 1 week before the litter was born. I informed the buyer before deposit was given, "the litter will be born near Nov 8th". The litter was actually born during the evening on Nov 7th. Now the buyer is demanding her deposit back because "she has problems with the number 7 thus she didn't get the puppy she wanted". She was spooked because the litter was born on the 7th day of the month. Is this a valid reason for returning a deposit? I would be more willing to refund her deposit if she would have been polite and professional about the matter. Now she is leaving nasty emails and voice messages.

It seems to me that you do not have any loss to justify keeping the deposit.
If you do not return the money she could try to sue you for it and you could end up repaying the deposit plus legal fees.
In your case the deposit does not seem to have covered any kind of expense, and keeping it seems greedy. If it were me I would pay it back and find a new buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back