Business rental property questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

insuranceman

Hello everyone. I just had some questions my boss was wanting me to research, and I came across this forum. Seems like a place to get great answers from knowledgeable people. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute in the future.

Recently, my boss has taken over a small business from the previous owner. The previous owner is interested in selling my boss the building that my former boss has owned and ran the same business out of for the past 35 years. Myself and others members of the staff have informed the new boss that they should not buy the building and pointed out a few problems with the building and now we are beginning to wondered if the building is even safe to be in. One problem for instance is that the ceiling (after being repaired numerous times) is it still leaking and now when you slightly push on the ceiling (we believe it's drywall with the "popcorn" ceiling paint) you can feel it move and see how soaking wet it is. Also, there is a wall in my own office that when I push in, you can feel it (for lack of a better word) crumbling. There is wallpaper so you can't see it, but the wall gives WAY too much and you can hear that it's either moldy or just failing apart.

We really just wondered how far this building can fall into despair before forcing the owner to make repairs. Frankly the building owner doesn't seem to want to fix it all.

*Wow, that was a big post*

Contact your city or local building inspector or health department. See what they suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back