Business Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

lundellhull

I rented a office from the landlord and owner of a commercial property in February of 2010. I was a tenant there until December of 2011. The landlord paid the utilities and Internet expenses, and charged $460 per month with a security deposit of $1500, and an Insurance premium made payable to the landlord for $100.000.00 This also made her the owner of the policy in case something happened to the office during my tenancy.

The landlord asked that I always may in cash, as this was more convenient for her and her tax situation (I assume). Everything was mine, until approximately the end of October of 2010. The landlord had even mentioned many times that I was "her favorite tenant". I was late in giving her the insurance information she had requested, and found a new agent, and had the agent email the policy to her. She gave me a 3 day notice to have the insurance by a certain date, and I had complied. On the first of November, she called me and said she HAD NOT received it, and that I was to be out by the end of the weekend. She told me she was going to be there by the end of the weekend and move me herself if I was not out. I told her, I had indeed emailed the insurance policy to her, and she needed to check her email. She stated that she had recently changed her email address, and HAD NOT told me of this change. I explained that her demand for eviction, was not feasible, as I had an entire business to run and this would take time. She responded that it was not her concern and to get out. I returned to work on Monday, and she continued to harass me with several loud interruptions while my clients were in the office demanding when I was going to "Move" and be OUT of the office. This was really embarrassing to me, to say the least.

Around the same time, I had been working late one night, with 2 clients, when she showed up at the office at approximately 10:30PM and reported that she had been called by a tenant that was in the building, that the person waiting for me to take me home, was sitting in the lobby in a place that was authorized for use, as it was the office of ANOTHER tenant. AND, that I also had 2 prostitutes in my office, and she demented me to leave. I told her I was still working, and I was appealed at the outrageous accusations she had said, and my tenants had also heard the clams, and confronted her about it. The landlord stated she didn't care, and wanted ALL of us out of the office immediately! I left, and so did my clients. The NEXT day, when I came to work, several of the tenants in the building, told me that she had TOLD THEM I had prostitutes in the building and was running a prostitution rink out of my office. I was mortified, and just justified my position as best I could. Mind you, I am a Registered Nurse, and was seeing my clients in a medical capacity. The tenant that had the lobby desk, which my friend was sitting at, that caused the landlord to come to the office, stated that there was NO PROBLEM with using his lobby desk, and to not worry about it. The girl who had called the landlord initially had NO RIGHT to say anything about the situation he said, and in fact, had asked his employee's to stay a way from her, as she was intrusive, and a double maker. I was further harassed for 3 months until I left, the last week of December 2011. with emails, notes all over my office door, and was not going tot work because of her outrageous accusations. I lost a lot of income, faced embarrassment with my clients, and had my reputation sanded with my co- tenants. They also heard, say, and experienced the outrageous claims of the landlord, and saw the slanderous notes left on my office door. I did not go to work unless I HAD TO, and then only if the landlord was not there. I also had to find a new agent for the insurance I owed, in an emergency, because she had told the former insurance agent outrageous things about my business and other clams of untruths. My business, which was really starting to become successful, was virtual ruined by this woman.

Is there anything I can do, or do I have any rights in this situation, and if so, could an attorney please call me or email me with their thoughts about this situation? Also, I found out that not ALL tenets were required to pay for the insurance premiums, and she also did not give me ANY receipts for my monthly rental payment, because she asked me to bay in cash. I asked her several times, but she did not produce them. She also claimed I only paid HALF of the deposit of $1500 , and also gave me a three day notice for that as well! I told her to check her records, as this was not the case. Apparently she did, because she drooped the allegation. But, did not produce the requested receipts.

Sincerely,
Marsha Hull, RN

I doubt that you have a cause of action. These are everyday indiscretions we all suffer. You can speak with an attorney in your area. He or she might see more than I can.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back