burned on the job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda

recently while at work at a restaurant as a short order cook, after cooking eggs in a small frying pan, I set the pan back down on the fire and walked away. I then noticed that the pan was burning and I immediately grabbed the pan without thinking and tried to get it in the sink as fast as possible. However, in so doing, the burning margarine sloshed out on to my other hand, thus I received a second degree burn. I was working a split shift so when I returned back to work, I spoke to my employer about having the evening off as my hand hurt. I told her what had happened which was 5 hours earlier. She asked why didn't I just turn the burner off? I told her I wasn't thinking at the time. She gave me the evening off and I returned to work the next day. I haven't missed any days of work because of this. My employer does not have workman's comp or medical benefits. 4 days later I called her worrying about an infection and she made arrangements for me to see a doctor. The doctor said it was healing fine, but now my employer wants me to sign a statement that I would not hold her liable for my accident. Is this right? Should I sign it or should I sue for pain and suffering? Help!!!!

It does not sound like you have any grounds for a suit. You have not missed any work and your employer has paid your medical bills. You were also aware that you were not covered by workers comp and have not taken out any insurance on your own or taken a job where you were covered.

You admit that you were careless or you would not have gotten burned. It sounds like you need to grow up and take some responsibility for your own actions. With that said I would not sign anything releasing liability until you were sure there were no long term effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back