Burn Injury

M

Moi SF

Jurisdiction
California
Hello,

Today at a "high end" spa my neck was burned by boiling water from a facial steamer. The steamer suddenly spit scaling liquid on me. I started reading about steamer malfunctions, and it seems like improper care and maintenance causes the machine to spit water. I have a blister or two and have been in pain since the incident occurred this morning. I called the advice nurse three times with updates/questions, but did not go to the ER. The spa did not charge me (obviously), but the staff was pretty poor about managing the incident. They weren't quite sure what to do to help. I needed them because I was in pain/shock so that was frustrating. They have called to follow up with me, but I have not yet answered due to exhaustion and getting my mind around how to proceed. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

Your injuries seem to be minor but you haven't mentioned anything about missing work, etc. You should have gone to the hospital to get it checked out.

The only other thing you can do is to consult with a personal injury attorney to see if you have much of a case against the spa. The attorney can review your case in detail and make a determination.

If you don't want to go that route then at least contact MANAGEMENT at the spa and make sure they're aware of the incident.

They have called to follow up with me, but I have not yet answered due to exhaustion and getting my mind around how to proceed. Any advice is welcome

The unasked question in there is "How much money can I get from the spa to punish them for their carelessness?"

The answer: Very little.

This is not the McDonald's coffee case, if you are seeing dollar signs in front of your eyes.

The injury is minor and will clear up in a couple of weeks with proper attention. There's stuff you can buy at the drug store for a few bucks.

Notify management, in writing, that you were injured by the staff's negligence and you will contact them as soon as you are recovered.

Once you are recovered, you can discuss money. You can pick a number or see what they offer.

Frankly, with a minor injury and no medical bills, I'd pay you $100 in go-away money, get a release on file, and close it out.

Back