1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Bumper sticker idea. Do I need to register as trademark or copyright

Discussion in 'Copyright, Trademark, Patent Law' started by ctc0605, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctc0605

ctc0605 Law Topic Starter New Member

I have an idea for a bumper sticker. It is a one word name using various religious symbols that make it unique. It may also contain a caption underneath consisting of several words. I've already mailed it to myself certified letter. DO I need to copyright or trademark ?

2. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

Mailing yourself something is NOT valid for proper copyright or trademark purposes, e.g. "the poor man's copyright." What it does is give you a date when you first created or used the work. This is helpful in the event someone claims they were using the same mark or had created the same mark before you did.

If you want proper copyright and trademark protections and federal trademark recognition, you need to follow the steps at the USPTO - uspto.gov, the US Patent and Trademark Office.