Broken window grounds for eviction or refusal to renew lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugwump

I moved into my present apartment almost three years ago. In that time I have never once been late with my rent and generally take good care of the apartment (although it can get pretty messy; I'm not exactly a great housekeeper).I have never had any sort of problem with the landlord.

Last Friday evening, my key broke off in the lock to my back door. I tried to deal with the problem myself to no avail and then called a locksmith. Two hours and another phone call later, he still hadn't shown up. It was getting dark, and I was getting more and more anxious about getting back into my apartment. I finally decided to break a window pane in the door so I could reach the lock. The manager's office will not be open until Monday morning, so I won't be able to report this to them before then. Naturally I expect to pay for the repair.

Can the landlord evict me, raise my rent, or refuse to renew my lease over this? Is he likely to do so, considering that I've been a good tenant for almost three years now? I'm probably being neurotic about this :nuts but I've never deliberately damaged a landlord's property before.

Last edited:
Mugwump said:
I moved into my present apartment almost three years ago. In that time I have never once been late with my rent and generally take good care of the apartment (although it can get pretty messy; I'm not exactly a great housekeeper).I have never had any sort of problem with the landlord.

Last Friday evening, my key broke off in the lock to my back door. I tried to deal with the problem myself to no avail and then called a locksmith. Two hours and another phone call later, he still hadn't shown up. It was getting dark, and I was getting more and more anxious about getting back into my apartment. I finally decided to break a window pane in the door so I could reach the lock. The manager's office will not be open until Monday morning, so I won't be able to report this to them before then. Naturally I expect to pay for the repair.

Can the landlord evict me, raise my rent, or refuse to renew my lease over this? Is he likely to do so, considering that I've been a good tenant for almost three years now? I'm probably being neurotic about this :nuts but I've never deliberately damaged a landlord's property before.
As long as you fix what you damaged, there will be no repercussions.

I wouldn't even mention this to anyone.

Just make sure things are put back in proper order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back