Consumer Law, Warranties Broken Verbal Aggrement

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsrtnite

I moved into an apartment in March of 2009 the owner of the apartments (who resides in CA) verbably offered me a position to work with him as his assistant to manage and maintain his apartment complex here in AZ. I was offered payment in cash or it can be taken from my monthly rent. I chose the cash option.
I have done my part managing and maintaing his apartment complex for months now without his written agreement he had promised to make up since he hired me in April. I have been paid for some of the smaller service's that I have performed but he has never paid me the monthly fee he said he would.
I have e-mails where he ask's me to go and perform certain services and receipts for supplies that I provided him.
I have an e-mail dated march 23 where he states he will put together a written contract, but as of today still has not done so. In short I no longer let this man take advantage of me, I do no more work for him.

Here's my question.. since his place of business that I managed and maintained is in AZ can I file a claim against him here. Or do I have to file in CA where he lives. And who can I sue the owner or the apartment complex or both.
I would also like to know what all I can sue him for.
Wages, finanical hardship, loss of other jobs I turned down because of him, emotional distress, etc.

Without more, just my feelings:

1) Any lawsuit can be filed locally since the agreement was made in AZ for property in AZ for services to be performed in AZ and there should be jurisdiction over the defendant in AZ.

2) Perhaps the answer is simple. Put together an amount you believe he owes you. Send it to him and tell him that obviously you need an agreement in place and that you have not been paid for services already performed. As such, you cannot continue to work due to his breach of the agreement. If you cannot come to an agreement, perhaps you may want to offer a compromise that you'll continue to live there without paying rent until the amount he owes you is equal to the amount of rent incurred.

Going to court is a pain. Negotiation and agreement is always easiest. Good luck.

thank you, just knowing i can file here makes it easier i have already vacated the apartment I rather keep them seperate issues, like hes been doing all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back