Broken speedometer cable/62in40

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenEcklund

1989 acura integra is what i was driving,My father in law had bought it at an auction so that my family could go to and from.
I got most of it fixed that i could,but some parts are just impossible to find where I'm at.
Can I use this to get out of ,or reduce this ticket.
I have three kids,wife,house payments,and payments to Johnson county for,A different ridiculous problem,back to what's important"
what can I do on $9.00 hr only income: Kinda strapped for cash as it is: Any other facts,I'll fill in later,or just ask.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:
Steven Ecklund@
even_other_sewer_rat@yahoo.com

Thanks!
P.S. 23days till christmas.

Probably not. Having knowledge of your speedometer not functioning might make things worse.

What state? What speed and limit?

As Robbie said i doubt it. I know here in Texas (and i suspect most everywhere) that a speedometer is not a piece of equipment that is required.

That being said, a lack of a working speedometer is not accepted as an excuse for speeding. Are you trying to say you did not know you were speeding? I had a broken speedometer when i was younger and I could generally tell when I was speeding. Especially if there were other cars on the road.

You may get a sympathetic judge that might lower the fine, but I would not count on it.

Keeping the speedometer in working order is your responsibility. You can get in more trouble in court with that defense. However if your speedometer was malfunctioning(not to your knowledge), that's another story, and it might work(in Virginia it does). Dont bring up the fact that you have kids in court, the judge is more likely to punish you more because you are expected to be more responsible. However, that being said it also varies from judge to judge.

thanks for all of your advise!

I got a pretty good deal with a lawyer,so for the same price and more time to come up with the money,the ticket stays off my record.
Tx. has a point system for every time you get a ticket, you get another ticket for racking up points by severity of the offenses.
every ticket you get,you get more points,the more points you get,the more they charge you at each new ticket,snowballing untill anyone who keeps getting tickets cant pay to keep their D.L.
My lawyer cut a great deal,guarantees no points will go on my record,and neither will the ticket!
thanks,
Steve

P.S. Happy Holidays!:D

I disagree with all these people that say knowledge of the defect will not get you a reduction. Improper equipment is just that, improper equipment. It can totally negate a speeding ticket. Check this article for the two schools of thought on challenging your ticket.

Go for it, man. It's all you've got at this point, right?

Scrunk, there's a fine line between "improper" and "broken". If his speedometer read improperly and needed recalibrating, then he could take the car to a speedo shop, have it calibrated properly and obtain a certificate to use as evidence in court and explain that he had no knowledge of the infraction. On the other hand, if he had full knowledge that the speedometer was broken (not working at all - which is what he posted in his thread title), then that's no excuse. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Try to argue that with a Judge and you'll be laughed out of Court.

The only thing a school can possibly do for him at this point is reduce the points on his driving record ... that is, if the school is properly certified and if he hasn't already used too many of his "get out of trouble" passes within the timeframe alloted by his particular State.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back