Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant broken door from a search warrant

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddndi

the police search my rental house and the renters were coming to the door after the police told him to come to the door and open it, just as he got to the door the kicked it down and search the property, the door is broken now. what can i do to have my door replace by the police dept or city.

the police search my rental house and the renters were coming to the door after the police told him to come to the door and open it, just as he got to the door the kicked it down and search the property, the door is broken now. what can i do to have my door replace by the police dept or city.
Actually, unless you were present you do not know the renters were coming to the door ... that may be what the renters told you, but that may not be the case.

To get compensation for the door you can make a claim for the cost of the damage and repair to the police agency involved. They may deny the claim citing that it was the tenant's actions that forced them to take down the door. So, you may have to make a claim against the tenant for the door replacement since one can argue that it was their criminal activity that compelled the door being booted.

You may have to try and sue one or the other entity in small claims court.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back