Broke & Going to Court Without a Lawyer- What should i watch out for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skholtglass

A few years ago my husband met a German woman online and left me to go to Germany to be with her. He cashed in his retirement fund, sold his vehicles and left with no notice other than "Good-bye". Our house is paid off, I am unable to work due to back problems. I was able to pay bills by making beads in my home and my daughter and her husband helped out some. Even then it has been a struggle. When my husband found that it was impossible for him to get a job in Germany he came back here and bought himself a mobile home. He then decided he wanted the house and started divorce proceedings. He has offered to give me his mobile home and a years' worth of lot rent in exchange for the house(which is valued at about $60,000). I do not feel that is a fair trade. I have not been able to save any money to pay for a lawyer and i know he has one. The court date for the divorce is coming up and i am terrified that his lawyer has come up with a way for my husband to take the house and force me out on to the street with nothing.
I tried to get legal aid help but they said they could not help me.
When he left for Germany it seemed like he he was happy to leave me the house but now that he used up his retirement money he wants it.
How can i protect myself in court?
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back