Bringing someone to court that's moving to another state, also expedit

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My roommate owes me 3 months rent. I found out that he's moving to California soon, and I'm concerned he's not going to pay. Will I be able to bring him to court even though he would be in California? I don't even know his address there. He's still here, but I think he might be lying to me about when he plans to leave (I think he's leaving sooner, but I don't know when). I do know about that 5-day notice if he doesn't pay rent, but I don't know how long it takes to set up court proceedings.

I spoke with him and he has mentioned that if I took him to court he would move away and I wouldn't be able to find him.

What if he leaves before I get a chance to take him to court here, or is there a way I can expedite the process?

Thanks,
Brad

My roommate owes me 3 months rent. I found out that he's moving to California soon, and I'm concerned he's not going to pay. Will I be able to bring him to court even though he would be in California? I don't even know his address there. He's still here, but I think he might be lying to me about when he plans to leave (I think he's leaving sooner, but I don't know when). I do know about that 5-day notice if he doesn't pay rent, but I don't know how long it takes to set up court proceedings.

I spoke with him and he has mentioned that if I took him to court he would move away and I wouldn't be able to find him.

What if he leaves before I get a chance to take him to court here, or is there a way I can expedite the process?

Thanks,
Brad

It is possible to serve someone in CA for a lawsuit that you wish to bring in IL.

Possible, but very problematic.

IF he slips away to CA after you serve him in IL, you can still proceed with yoru case.
You'll get a default judgment.

Now, if he slips away to CA before you serve him, that will effectively thwart your lawsuit.

So, you sued him, you got that judgement and you want your money.
Well, that's why suing him is a losing proposition.
Face it, he got you.
This is why I recommend never renting to anyone with the expectation you'll be paid.

Taking him to court is easy.
There are no shortcuts.
You have to color the page correctly following each step as instructed.

Eviction in IL:

http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentID=3917

You can Google, Yahoo, or Bing: "Eviction MY COUNTY, IL" for the skinny on your county.

If I were you, I'd take my lumps, because you'll never get your money, UNLESS Judge Judyt, Judge Mathis, The People's Court invite you to appear.
Or, you cna contact any of them and ask will they take yoru case.
You do that, you get an all expense paid trip to the city where the shoe is filmed, hotel paid, mean allowance, incidentals, and either way you will get oaid.
After you get the aforementioned FREEBIES, each case is assigned a pool of money.
Say you're suing for $3,000.
The pool might be $5,000.
You win, you get the $3,000, plus half od the remaining $2,000, another grand for you.
Plus, dude gets an extra grand, too.
WIN-WIN, easy peasy money, yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back