Breastfeeding Mothers in the work place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darice76

While I was breastfeeding my son, I would have to take periodic breaks at work in order to pump and store my milk. My former employer did not allow for this - we were barely allowed to take our lunches or 15 minute breaks. At some points my milk would leak because my breasts became so engorged from the milk not being pumped. This was quite embarrassing because this would occur in front of clientele. It finally came to a point where the engorgement was so painfully bad that I asked to leave so that I may go to the ER. My former employer refused to let me leave, even though I explained that I was feeling dizzy and had the "chills". Feeling so bad and being in so much pain, I finally explained to them that I was, indeed, headed to the ER no matter the consequence. It was then that it was determined that I had Mastitis. After the Mastitis cleared, I was no longer able to breastfeed my son which saddened me. Breastfeeding allowed for special bonding time with him as well a way for me to provide the utmost nutrition for him - breast milk being the healthiest and most natural way to feed ones child. I feel they robbed me from this opportunity. Are there any rights for breastfeeding Moms?

Yes, there are. How long ago did this happen?

(There are not, on the other hand, rights to lunches or breaks of any length)

My Son was born December 19, 2011 ... I returned to work in March 2012 and the Mastitis happened in April or May of 2012, of which I have not been able to set the thoughts from aside. This has really bothered me but was ignorant as to my rights.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back