Breaking a lease.

Steve Podbielan

Jurisdiction
Idaho
Landlord is getting a divorce. My lease is up in 3mo. His wife wants to take over my residence and is willing to let me out of lease.i can't afford to relocate in this time frame.options?

Landlord is getting a divorce. My lease is up in 3mo. His wife wants to take over my residence and is willing to let me out of lease.i can't afford to relocate in this time frame.options?

You can counteroffer with the following:

I will allow YOU to buy out my lease for _____FILL IN THE BLANK WITH THE AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU NEED TO MOVE____

You must determine if $2,000 and return of your FULL deposit amount for leaving 60 days early is tolerable.

You might need $3,000, etc...

For example:

Our tenant, Timmy Tenant, will move out 60 days early for the sum of $2,000 (PLUS HIS DEPOSIT RETURNED IN FULL) and this letter indicates WE are buying TENANT out of the lease for $2,000 (and his deposit in full) payable upon move-out and turnover of the keys.
This action is done at LANDLORDS' request to move into the unit and because Landlord requests TENANT to vacate the unit 60 DAYS before the lease expires.

Back