Quiet Enjoyment breaking a lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_jones

I am renting in a managed condiminium complex. One of the rules of is "no tenant shall cause any noise that disturbs other tenants". I know that there are some noises that must be tolerated in a multiunit building, but what has occurred I believe is too much. A property owner bought the unit below me to rent out. He has been working on it, by himself, for the last 3 1/2 months, every day including Sundays and holidays. I asked him, after 2 months, id he could limit the work to the morning hours and he said he would, but he didn't. I then asked the property manager if he could intervene, he did and the owner said he woild limit the work to daytime and no Sundays. Again, he didn't but continued to work thru the evening and on weekends including Sundays. When I complained again, the managers, in essence said, because he is an owner he can do whatever he wants, and implied that since I'm a renter I have no rights. Since the noise violates the rules, can I break my lease with my landlord, even if he is not directly involved?

If the quiet enjoyment of your leasehold is being violated, it could be grounds for breaking your lease.

You should first discuss this matter with your landlord.

He should then discuss it with the building management.

You should document all contacts and responses.

Allow your landlord time to investigate this matter and contact building management.

This will take some time.

If after 30 days or so, the condition remains unchanged, you can then notify your landlord of your intention to break the lease.

In the interim, read your lease.

Make sure you understand your lease.

Depending on how much time you have left on the lease, it might just be easier to wait until its expiration.

That way, you could leave with less hassle.

Breaking a lease (properly0 is not easy!

It is also not a quick remedy, just as an eviction requires time and effort to effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back