Breach of contract

Johnd1456

Jurisdiction
Arizona
Hello, I recently sold My car to a dealership here in Arizona . I presented them with a freshly cleaned car Which they appraised, they made me an offer that I accepted, Paperwork was signed and money exchanged. Now a few days later they have Called me saying they do not want the car Because of hail damage that they did not see during the appraisal and will not pay off the loan that it was being financed through and that I should come pick the car up. Are they allowed to do this?

Are they allowed to do this?

You should start by reading every word of the documents you signed.

Yes, it is onerous, but without reading those documents, no one can answer your question.

You should start by reading every word of the documents you signed.

Yes, it is onerous, but without reading those documents, no one can answer your question.
Thank you for your input. I have read the documentation. It is the standard paperwork from any car deal from a dealership.

Are they allowed to do this?

I'm not quite sure what this question means.

The buyer of your car is certainly allowed to try and get out of the deal, but we obviously have no way of knowing if the hail damage will allow the buyer to get out of the deal. One would need to read the contract and any other relevant paperwork to address that issue intelligently (saying that it's "the standard paperwork" doesn't tell us anything).

Thank you for your input. I have read the documentation. It is the standard paperwork from any car deal from a dealership.

If you can not find language within the contract that allows them to rescind the offer then they may not be able to force anything. They might be very persuasive in their language, but may just be relying on you to voluntarily comply.
Read the contract carefully and understand all the terms. If the dealer fails to honor the agreed terms you will have to decide what next step to take, but first allow whatever time the contract requires for them to make that payment.

It is the standard paperwork from any car deal from a dealership.
There really is no such thing as "standard paperwork". Sure, paperwork from one deal may be similar to the paperwork from other deals and will (should) contain any statutorily required wording, but each dealer will have their own forms with their own unique details as they deem necessary.

Back