Breach of contract on vehicle with multiple issues?

SusanP

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
In September of 2014, I purchased a used 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser from a used car dealership on a, "Buy here, pay here," lot. The car had noticeable issues with the shocks, struts, as well as transmission issues. When purchasing the car, the dealership signed paperwork stating they would fix all of these listed issues through their mechanic and the vehicle was also purchased with a 30 day warranty.
Maintenance was scheduled for the following week, but was canceled last minute by the dealership stating that their mechanic was not available on this day. This occurred multiple times until the 30 day warranty expired, when they then told me they are no longer liable for fixing my vehicle despite signed paperwork stating they would do so.
One year later, I have spent well over $2,000 in repairs on the car and can no longer renew the registration due to the fact that the engine must be replaced. I am still making monthly payments on this car of $320 per month.

What I am inquiring is if the actions they took in regards to this vehicle are legal or is there the possibility to place a claim against them? I currently still owe over $4,000 on the vehicle and am being forced to buy something new so that I may continue to provide for myself and my family.

Seems to be an obvious breach of contract and the shortest statute of limitations that I know of for breach of contract lawsuits is two years. Could even be 3 to 6 years in your state. Doesn't really matter as you are well within any SOL for filing a breach of contract lawsuit.

Gather up your contract and your repair bills and file suit in your local small claims court for the repairs that you paid for that the dealer had agreed in writing to do.

Just make sure you continue making your payments and keep careful records of those payments. Your obligation to pay for the car has nothing to do with the repairs you were entitled to.

You may have been snookered.
Nothing I say about your issue means much.
If there is help for you, try contacting your state's attorney general.

Don't buy junk that the seller promises to fix.
If its broken, don't buy it.

Back