Medical Malpractice Breach of confidentiality in hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchouli

My jurisdiction is: Ohio, USA

I was recently, June 24th, an inpatient following thyroid surgery at a major hospital in Cincinnati. That very evening my daughter and her new husband came to visit me. They arrived at change of shift for nursing. The male nurse was giving report to the oncoming female nurse. To my shock, he continued with a very comprehensive review of my medical history and current condition. I received a liver transplant 13 months ago, and he even included the statement that I had hepatitis C and cirrhosis which "killed" my liver and so prompted the transplant.

I am a registered nurse and I know the importance of medical confidentiality. I was still coming out of anesthesia and was unable to stop the nurse from spewing my private history to everyone in earshot. I was completely humiliated and embarassed as my new son-in-law was present.

Is there something that I can do about this. I feel violated and this nurse was obviously enjoying his moment in the spotlight. He was quite young and cocky.

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Laura

Report the incident to the hospital HIPA officer, in writing. They are required to follow up and report these incidents to the hospital board. Individuals involved with the violation often receive some sort of punishment, and at a minimum are educated so that they do not repeat the offense.

Good idea

Thanks iowaboy

I will do that. The nurse needs to be reminded how important the privacy practices are and maybe it will stop him from doing it to somebody else. Thanks so much for your timely response.

Have a wonderful evening

Laura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back