1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Brand Name similar to existing Company

Discussion in 'Business & Corporate Matters' started by Richard_pretzel, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Richard_pretzel

Richard_pretzel Law Topic Starter New Member

Hello,

I have a question and hope someone can help me. Our German brand name is AdEx and AdEx24 respectively. Now we want to appear in the USA under the same Brand name. Could we get problems with the online course platform eDx? The two names sound very similar.

2. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

I am not able to comment on whether or not you could "get problems", but I will say that "AdEx" and "eDx" don't sound similar to me at all when spoken in English.

3. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

I suppose you should be consulting with one of your fine German attorneys, perhaps knowledgeable in both German and EU laws.

Zigner likes this.
  4. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

As pointed out on another forum, there already exists an entity with the name of AdEx - www.adex.ai, so the OP may have other concerns.

army judge likes this.
  5. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

According to Quincy, it is the OP's company I linked to on the other forum. He even reported me for a commercial link.

If that is the OP's link then he is already trying to hire people in the US.

army judge likes this.
  6. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Similarity of names is but one of 7-8 factors that U.S. federal courts consider when evaluating trademark infringement claims. Having no other information besides the name, it is impossible for anyone to begin any sort of intelligent analysis of your situation. Proceeding without conferring with a U.S. attorney who practices trademark law would be exceptionally foolish.

Red Kayak likes this.