Bought vehicle from guy. Ex girlfriend says he stole it from her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhoovernc

I purchased a vehicle from a gentleman in SC. The title was in his name, and he signed it over to me. 3 months later, police show up at my house saying it was reported stolen. They take the vehicle and my title, saying that the guy I purchased it from "obtained the title fraudulently".

Turns out the guy and his then girlfriend bought the vehicle together. The person that physically paid was the guy I got it from (this was verified by the previous owner). The title was never signed by the couple...it was left blank. 6-8 months later, they break up and the title STILL has not been transferred to his/her/their name. She takes the title when she moves out. He goes back to the previous owner to get a duplicate title saying he lost it. Since he actually paid the previous owner for the truck initially, the previous owner files the paperwork and the guy gets a duplicate title in his name. The vehicle is now legally (I'd assume) in the guys name who I bought it from. A couple of months goes by and sells it to me. The ex-girlfriend reports it stolen, he gets arrested and charged with Breach of Trust, still awaiting trial.

It is found out by her that I have the vehicle. Police come to my house and take the vehicle and title. Vehicle is impounded, and then released to her the following day!

Key facts:
- The initial owner got the guy I bought it from a duplicate title, since it was legally still in original owners name (was never signed by the couple and taken to DMV)
- Original owner sold it to me, with a legal title
- His ex girlfriend NEVER had a title in her name. Once she realized her ex had a legal title, she hastily signed the title and went to DMV to transfer ownership. DMV then confiscted the title since her ex now has legal title
- No bill of sale from when the couple purchased it, and he states that neither of the two (couple) signed the title when they took it. It was an open title.

I have been instructed by the police to file a civil suit against the guy I got it from. I feel I have legal ownership of the vehicle, and the civil suit should be between the couple. And how was SHE able to get the vehicle out of impound when she doesn't have legal title to it?

And finally, if any SC attorneys want to represent me, let me know. I'm ready to retain counsel and get my vehicle back!

Hmm... I am somewhat surprised the police took the car rather than point all of you toward the court for help.
If you are out money, and especially if the guy that sold it to you did so fraudulently, then you can sue him over your loss.

I dont believe the guy I bought it from was at fault here. The title was legally in his name. I believe the police were negligent in allowing the exgirlfriend (whoese name was NEVER on any title/bill of sale/etc) to get the vehicle out of the impound yard. Is it possible to file a lawsuit against the police dept for neglience in addition to any other lawsuits I choose to file against the man and woman?

It is possible... dunno how reasonable it is though.
You have a mess on your hands. This doesn't sound like something you would want to pursue on your own. You should get a legal consult with a local attorney who can sort things out with you 1-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back