Bought used car that I was told was inspected, but wasn't

panduv

Jurisdiction
New Hampshire
I bought a used car from a guy (private party, not a dealer). He said it needs nothing and there are no issues. He said it had passed inspection just a month ago. The sticker was in place. It seemed to drive fine. I thought it had no major issues since it had passed inspection. I got it registered and when I took it for inspection, it had too many issues including structural - cross member and rear reinforcement completely rusted out, brake disks worn out, missing support for bumpers, etc. I had to spend 2 grand getting it fixed.

I want to file complaint against the seller as well as the auto guy who put the sticker on a car that would fail inspection (I think he is friend of seller). Should I lodge complaint with police or small claims court? I don't have proof that it had a sticker - seller must have removed it from car before I drove it home, but I think I can get the info from carfax.

I bought a used car from a guy (private party, not a dealer). He said it needs nothing and there are no issues. He said it had passed inspection just a month ago. The sticker was in place. It seemed to drive fine. I thought it had no major issues since it had passed inspection. I got it registered and when I took it for inspection, it had too many issues including structural - cross member and rear reinforcement completely rusted out, brake disks worn out, missing support for bumpers, etc. I had to spend 2 grand getting it fixed.

I want to file complaint against the seller as well as the auto guy who put the sticker on a car that would fail inspection (I think he is friend of seller). Should I lodge complaint with police or small claims court? I don't have proof that it had a sticker - seller must have removed it from car before I drove it home, but I think I can get the info from carfax.

Without PROOF to support your ALLEGATIONS, you've got nothing.

Never rely on the ASSERTIONS of the seller when making ANY purchase decision.

You should have any used car you're THINKING about buying evaluated by a mechanic you TRUST.

Should I lodge complaint with police or small claims court?

If you want money, you go to small claims court.

I don't have proof that it had a sticker - seller must have removed it from car before I drove it home

And you didn't notice that when you went to give him the money and get the car?

Yikes.

At any rate, you report the phony inspection to whatever government agency regulates inspections.

Thanks for the replies.

I do have some proof. I have the copy of craigslist ad seller posted where he said car just passed inspection. He also replied to my texts saying he had it inspected.

I paid advance previous day evening, and he had to get one tire replaced. I went the next day morning to pay rest of the money and get the car. He had replaced the wheel. At that point I didn't think there would be a reason for him to remove sticker - now I know. He also drowned me with his sob stories of having survived a heart attack some time back and some one in his family passing away that morning, etc etc. Now to think of it, the entire thing might have been a plot to distract me from the fact sticker was removed.

Thanks for the replies.

I do have some proof. I have the copy of craigslist ad seller posted where he said car just passed inspection. He also replied to my texts saying he had it inspected.

I paid advance previous day evening, and he had to get one tire replaced. I went the next day morning to pay rest of the money and get the car. He had replaced the wheel. At that point I didn't think there would be a reason for him to remove sticker - now I know. He also drowned me with his sob stories of having survived a heart attack some time back and some one in his family passing away that morning, etc etc. Now to think of it, the entire thing might have been a plot to distract me from the fact sticker was removed.

A CraigsList isn't proof that the inspection was ever issued.

Whatever you decide to do is up to you.

Good luck.

Back