Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Bought,sold stolen tractor

T

Tractor guy

Jurisdiction
California
So I buy and sell tractors as a way to make side money. Recently I bought a tractor from a guy, did a little work on it and then sold it a couple weeks later. I guess the guy I bought the tractor from was just arrested for stealing a tractor. The police went through his phone and found that he had sold me a tractor. They have contacted me now and are asking about the tractor that I no longer have. Am I going to get in trouble for this? I don't have the tractor anymore, so I can't return it? The police have a picture of my truck off his phone with a picture of a tractor on the trailer. Should I give the police the info for the guy I sold it to, or then will I have to give him his money back?

Thanks.

So I buy and sell tractors as a way to make side money. Recently I bought a tractor from a guy, did a little work on it and then sold it a couple weeks later. I guess the guy I bought the tractor from was just arrested for stealing a tractor. The police went through his phone and found that he had sold me a tractor. They have contacted me now and are asking about the tractor that I no longer have. Am I going to get in trouble for this? I don't have the tractor anymore, so I can't return it? The police have a picture of my truck off his phone with a picture of a tractor on the trailer. Should I give the police the info for the guy I sold it to, or then will I have to give him his money back?

Thanks.

You should tell the truth, UNLESS you have violated a criminal law.

If you have broken THEIR laws, you need to watch this video, and do as the lawyer suggests:

Am I going to get in trouble for this?

Unfortunately, you are already in trouble. At the very least the tractor will be recovered and be returned to it's owner or his insurance company and you will have to give back the money to your buyer.

You will, in turn, have a cause of action against the guy who sold it to you.

Worse, you could be charged with receiving stolen property so I suggest you talk to a criminal defense lawyer TODAY before you do anything else. He may be able to negotiate written immunity for you in exchange for your cooperation in locating the tractor.

There is an element of risk when dealing in motor vehicles that may not require registration, such as a farm vehicles. And you're probably getting good advice to seek a criminal attorney to be your voice to the police and also to negotiate immunity for you in return for your cooperation. If the purchase price was below market value it would probably be essential that you have an attorney, lest you talk your way into appearance as the fence. And the rest @adjusterjack has laid out rather nicely. Right now you're the person in the spotlight closest to the crime. Obviously you'll need to be more careful next time.

Back