Bought car, owner signed paper work in wrong place and now refuses to sign again

Tracy Rucker

Jurisdiction
Alabama
I bought a car from an individual. Because I was getting a loan to pay his loan off I went through my credit union. We signed the paperwork, I registered the car in my name to get the tag and thought everything was ok. A few weeks later the bank called me and asked for the sellers number. They told me that he had signed a document on the wrong line and needed him to sign another paper. I thought this was all good and this last weekend found out that he was refusing to answer their calls and they had sent him paperwork to sign and had no response from him. So I contacted the seller and told him what they needed to get the title straight and he told me that he had a problem with that because he was a police officer and he would be falsifying the document if he signed with the incorrect mileage on it. Well, I tried to explain that it goes to the originating date of sale and the mileage at that time but he wouldn't hear of it. So I contacted the bank and set up an appointment to meet him there so they could explain and have him sign the paperwork. I scheduled on his day off per his request but yesterday he told me he wasn't going to show up. So I talk to my bank and they said if he doesn't sign then my loan will be handed over to their collections and I will still owe for the loan and I will have to fight out the title with him on my own. Which I'm sure will raise my loan rate as well. I'm unsure whether this is a case for small court or if there is something else I need to do. All I know is that if I have to pay for the car I want it in my name. And btw, I bought it for our daughter and she moved out of state so I need to sell the car because I can't handle making 3 car payments for long. I paid about 8600 for the car which was his payoff. All I really desire is for him to sign the paper to get the title straight. Or he can give me back the money I paid his loan off with.

Have the bank contact the chief of police, explain the issue to the chief, maybe the chief can reason with the guy.

Back