Bought car, DOJ stop on my car for 3.5 months, am unable to register. HELP

xknight86

Jurisdiction
California

Bought car with legit CA title. Went to reg services, they said its not reported as stolen but has a DOJ stop on it so they cant transfer it to my name. DMV told us to wait. Almost 4 months passed. Turns out LAPD put the stop on it a long time ago. They are not releasing it and seem to be taking as much time as they want.

What are my rights, what do I do,feels so unfair.

From another forum I found this old post:

I believe you are going to require a VIN inspection from CHP before you are allowed to register the vehicle in California, so let me suggest that you start by calling your local CHP office and making an appointment with the VIN officer. When you make your VIN appointment, tell him what's going on with you and DMV, Be sure to bring all of your paperwork with you when you bring in (the vehicle). This will help facilitate the VIN check and possibly clear up whatever may be causing the DOJ Stop.

Bought car with legit CA title. Went to reg services, they said its not reported as stolen but has a DOJ stop on it so they cant transfer it to my name. DMV told us to wait. Almost 4 months passed. Turns out LAPD put the stop on it a long time ago. They are not releasing it and seem to be taking as much time as they want.

What are my rights, what do I do,feels so unfair.

Have you contacted LAPD and spoke to someone about reasons for their actions?

Back