Bought car, counterfeit title, has lien

Captain Braddock of Racket Squad taught us that the mark's own greed is what makes con artists so successful.

I remember that great show.

Enjoy a little taste, again, friends.

Sgt Joe Friday taught the same lessons, just used a different technique.

This is an episode (Figures Don't Lie) of the crime series Racket Squad exactly as broadcast on 20 July 1953, with Reed Hadley as Captain Braddock. Reed Hadley's next series was Public Defender. Both series were sponsored by Philip Morris Cigarettes.

Public Defender was also very interesting, have another taste:

If Bank of America does have a balance owed then you might as well call them and turn it over to them. You know you've been conned, so why make it worse by trying to hide the car from them. However, you may find that the bank lien was satisfied, but the lien not removed with the state.
With a paper title, the bank just signs a release on the front and it isn't immediately removed in the state system.

No.

You don't own it.

You can't sell it.

You can't part it.

Oh, sure, you can sell individual parts off the car and hope nobody (especially the lender) catches on and sues you but, eventually, you will be stuck with the remains of the car that have a variety of identification numbers. How would you like that sitting in your garage or driveway without being able to unload it? You'd be cited by the city in a heartbeat.

Maybe you'd be better off calling the lender and having the car picked up.

Then consider the $4200 as your tuition for a life lesson from the school of hard knocks.

Hopefully you've made enough profit on your 50 other deals to offset this loss.

By the way, used car price on a 2014 Fiesta in good condition is about $7000. Your greed (getting it for $4200) made you ignore all the red flags (low price - too good to be true, seller appearance - "prison tattoos" - yikes, the story about the title, not getting the guy's name, etc) and contributed to you getting conned.

Captain Braddock of Racket Squad taught us that the mark's own greed is what makes con artists so successful.

Wow, are you always so rude and harsh? I was hoping to find help, in this awful time, not to be scolded. Even the DMV and detective, sympathized with me. It wasn't necessary info, so i didn't mention that the entire side of the car had been side swiped. The bumper, hood, fenders and doors, have to be replaced. So no, $4200 wasn't a unrealistic price. Now if anyone else has any different advice, on what I can possibly do, I would really appreciate it.

If Bank of America does have a balance owed then you might as well call them and turn it over to them. You know you've been conned, so why make it worse by trying to hide the car from them. However, you may find that the bank lien was satisfied, but the lien not removed with the state.
With a paper title, the bank just signs a release on the front and it isn't immediately removed in the state system.

Thanks for advice. Im not trying to avoid them finding out I have it, but only prolong that time. I want to find out if there are any options I have to make this less worse of a situation, than it currently is. Also if anyone knows how to track down this guy's identity, That would be awesome. I want this scum, behind bars, so he doesn't scam more people.

Wow, are you always so rude and harsh? I was hoping to find help, in this awful time, not to be scolded. Even the DMV and detective, sympathized with me. It wasn't necessary info, so i didn't mention that the entire side of the car had been side swiped. The bumper, hood, fenders and doors, have to be replaced. So no, $4200 wasn't a unrealistic price. Now if anyone else has any different advice, on what I can possibly do, I would really appreciate it.

I maintain your best course of action is to cooperate with the police, just as you've been doing.

Not much more you can do, until the police get back to you.

If you discover the name of the deceased owner, let me know, and I might be able to get you more information.

In a few words, here's your problem, mate.
The scammer has your money.
You have possession of a very suspicious car.
The car has sustained a great deal of damage.
You didn't cause the damage.
The car was damaged when you bought it from the scammer.
We know the owner is dead.
We know the owner was 72 years old.
We don't know how the owner died.
The police are investigating the matter.
You have cooperated with the police.
The relationship between you and the police is cordial at present.
Those are the most important facts WE KNOW, so far.

Continue to cooperate with the police.
Don't expect to get your money back, even when/if the scammer is arrested.
Why?
Scammers, dopers, and criminals (like the that found you) rarely are financially solvent.
Crime over the long term doesn't pay.

The lien on the car is another problem.
If you approach BoA about the lien, they might come at you for the car.
Now, do you see the picture I've painted, mate?

Your smartest play now is to hang on, wait, and hope the cops get lucky.

One longshot play, if you want to try it, is contact (or have a smart buddy contact) BoA about the lien.
You "buddy" could pose as a buyer doing due diligence because he/she wants to buy the car.
During that conversation, the BoA rep might reveal useful details to you.
As I said, it is a longshot.
I have seen it work, a time or two, if the "buddy" asks the right questions in a patient, calm, deliberative, diligent manner.

If the bank has a balance and a lien then you don't have a prayer of acquiring a clear title in your name.
"In the future, never pay for a car from a private seller until you prove the title exists, and it is free of any liens." I will add to that, you should only be purchasing from the person or persons whose name is printed on the face of the title. Ask for ID! And only give the money to that person.

I maintain your best course of action is to cooperate with the police, just as you've been doing.

Not much more you can do, until the police get back to you.

If you discover the name of the deceased owner, let me know, and I might be able to get you more information.

In a few words, here's your problem, mate.
The scammer has your money.
You have possession of a very suspicious car.
The car has sustained a great deal of damage.
You didn't cause the damage.
The car was damaged when you bought it from the scammer.
We know the owner is dead.
We know the owner was 72 years old.
We don't know how the owner died.
The police are investigating the matter.
You have cooperated with the police.
The relationship between you and the police is cordial at present.
Those are the most important facts WE KNOW, so far.

Continue to cooperate with the police.
Don't expect to get your money back, even when/if the scammer is arrested.
Why?
Scammers, dopers, and criminals (like the that found you) rarely are financially solvent.
Crime over the long term doesn't pay.

The lien on the car is another problem.
If you approach BoA about the lien, they might come at you for the car.
Now, do you see the picture I've painted, mate?

Your smartest play now is to hang on, wait, and hope the cops get lucky.

One longshot play, if you want to try it, is contact (or have a smart buddy contact) BoA about the lien.
You "buddy" could pose as a buyer doing due diligence because he/she wants to buy the car.
During that conversation, the BoA rep might reveal useful details to you.
As I said, it is a longshot.
I have seen it work, a time or two, if the "buddy" asks the right questions in a patient, calm, deliberative, diligent manner.

Thanks for the detailed advice. I contacted BOA today and told the loan department the whole story. They said that they can not release and info to me. But they can, to the detective, when he gets time to contact them. They gave me the number to the investigations department. The name of the deceased registered own is, Chester Stephensen. That is all the detective could tell me. I was thinking about doing a phone number search, possibly find a site, on the deep web.

Thanks for the detailed advice. I contacted BOA today and told the loan department the whole story. They said that they can not release and info to me. But they can, to the detective, when he gets time to contact them. They gave me the number to the investigations department. The name of the deceased registered own is, Chester Stephensen. That is all the detective could tell me. I was thinking about doing a phone number search, possibly find a site, on the deep web.

That might help.
I'll make like a badger and dig. LOL

Well, look at what I found.
Is this the dead guy?

This guy might not be dead. LOL

Results show no death in Nevada by that name going back a couple years, so far.

White Male, Age 74, Born in January 1942

Chester Gerald Stephensen
525 Van Dornum Ave, Henderson, NV 89011

Peopel at the address above (your scammer might be one of them, trying to get pics):

Residents
John Hastrich
Richard Seech
Sara Mendoza
Wilson Watkins

Could have been his:

(702) 558-4636
CenturyLink

(702) 336-1017
T-Mobile

This may have been (or could still be) his email:

chester.stephensen@netzero.net

Chester has been a very naughty boy.
Chester may change names, frequently, varying his name.
Chester has a very hungry "sweet tooth", as the Afghanis say - wink, wink.

I think I need to take a shower, a very hot, soapy shower.

I got two different addresses, one on the title and one of the registration, neither of which matches what you found, Judge. DOB matches.

I have often come up with tons of "relatives" or acquaintances for people when poking around online - very often it's due to the fact that the address of the individual is an apartment building and there are matches on everyone with the same address.

By the way, the effective date of the lien was 06/04/15 for what that's worth.

I got two different addresses, one on the title and one of the registration, neither of which matches what you found, Judge. DOB matches.

I have often come up with tons of "relatives" or acquaintances for people when poking around online - very often it's due to the fact that the address of the individual is an apartment building and there are matches on everyone with the same address.

By the way, the effective date of the lien was 06/04/15 for what that's worth.

This reminds me of my days a prosecutor, highwayman. LOL

Chester, my Chester, seems to have drifted from CA, to NV, and even into UT.
In CA, he has some petty offense charges, mostly traffic.

The NV cops have nothing on him, using the name I found.

But, the UT constabulary nabbed naughty old Chester.
Chester has that "sweet tooth", loves the sugary stuff; as the Afghanis and Iraqis term it.
In UT, Chester got nabbed, tried, and convicted of some very naughty things to some very vulnerable ones among us.

That could explain why I can't find a record of Chester's death or even a obituary.

I think the scammer is one this list:
John Hastrich
Richard Seech
Wilson Watkins

Gotta keep digging.

Chester MIGHT have a son, OP.

Does this describe your scammer?

Offender Number: 217098
Offender Name: CHESTER ALAN STEPHENSEN
DOB: Sun, 29 Apr 1951
Height: 5 Feet 8 Inches
Weight: 140
Sex: M
Housing Facility: N/A
Parole Date: N/A
Aliases: CHESTER ALAN STEPHENSEN

One of the naughty Chester's did this:

Utah State Legislature

Chester MIGHT have a son, OP.

Does this describe your scammer?

Offender Number: 217098
Offender Name: CHESTER ALAN STEPHENSEN
DOB: Sun, 29 Apr 1951
Height: 5 Feet 8 Inches
Weight: 140
Sex: M
Housing Facility: N/A
Parole Date: N/A
Aliases: CHESTER ALAN STEPHENSEN

One of the naughty Chester's did this:

Utah State Legislature
thanks for all the help. But the guy that sold me the car was young. Maybe 27- 32 years old, around six foot, and very slender

thanks for all the help. But the guy that sold me the car was young. Maybe 27- 32 years old, around six foot, and very slender

I'm trying.
Have you tried contacting the dead guy?
I'm thinking the dead guy isn't dead.
Maybe you can get someone to try and contact the dead guy.
Do the cops have proof of the guy's death?
See if the detective can give you more info on the dead guy, next of kin, etc...

How the car got into the hands of your scammer might be as easy as proving a relative used it to fund a dope binge.

Sorry for the late reply. The detective will not give more info, than his name. I was thinking I could entrap the scammer. I know where they live. Any ideas? I was thinking of going to the house, why wearing a hidden cam. Perhaps I can get him to admit to my face, that he scammed me, unknowing that he is on camera. I would prefer not to do that though, as i fear for my physical safety.

Sorry for the late reply. The detective will not give more info, than his name. I was thinking I could entrap the scammer. I know where they live. Any ideas? I was thinking of going to the house, why wearing a hidden cam. Perhaps I can get him to admit to my face, that he scammed me, unknowing that he is on camera. I would prefer not to do that though, as i fear for my physical safety.

That won't help you, but it could get you hurt.
You and a couple friends could rent a small van, or panel truck, the kind without windows.
You could park it near the scene of the crime.
You could then surveil the area for a couple hours, hoping to see the scammer.
If IT did appear, you could video IT and ITS asscoiates.
Maybe you could collect license plate numbers, etc...

None of that will help you get your money back, because a dope fiend spends cash as fast as he acquires it.

You might get some satisfaction if you do get info that allows the police to effect his arrest. however.

He might have other warrants outstanding, most of these scummy scammers do.

Back