Bought a vehicle under false pretenses (salvaged title & title jumping)

Grant Chastain

Jurisdiction
Georgia
20 years old and learning a lot from this experience.
The situation is this I bought a car of craigslist (a jeep)
It has a Michigan Title. The man I bought it from bought it from a auction and he put his name on the title.

A few weeks went by and I found out that it was totaled about a year ago, and the insurance deemed it a total loss. The seller said it was a clean title, but I never carfaxed it... I know now I will next time.

Then I went to tag the vehicle and I cannot do that because he never paid the taxes on it.

So he is committing what is known as title jumping, he is also legally not allowed to sell the vehicle without paying taxes on it first.

I then found out that their a huge issues with the jeep and I want to sue for all my money back 7000$
will I win in a small claims court? Do I have a shot?
(which will take about 3-4 months)

I have contacted the seller and told him about all this and he said he would take the title back and pay the taxes on it and then send it back to me...? and then I could tag it but its a piece of crap so if I could sue him and get my money back that would be my first choice.
I could also have him pay the taxes on it, and then I pay the taxes and then take it to title max and pawn it and they will give me 4500-5000$

Please help!

I know that a licensed dealer must disclose a salvage title vehicle but I'm not sure about private sales in your state. Your local DMV office can answer that question for you.

The DMV sucks! I have asked them a lot of questions but basically I want to know if I sue him will I be able to get my money back? Or will he have to just pay the taxes?
It is a felony that he is currently title jumping so does anyone know the punishment or penalty for that in GA because I have looked and can't find anything.

The answer I'm not sure of is this "in a sale between two individuals, in GA is the seller required by law to disclose in writing, the fact that a vehicle holds a salvage title?"
If the answer is yes he is required, and he did not, then you should be able to sue and win a judgment against him. Understand however that winning a judgment doesn't automatically mean you will get your money back. If the scumbag has spent your money and has no means to pay, you may not ever see a dime. Sucks. The title jumping is an issue involving tax fraud, and there's probably a state agency that you would report that to. On that issue, if you allow him to take back the title and he pays the taxes(and probably penalties) then there is no longer a felony. He's cleared the matter.
In any case if you find out the answer to the 1st question, hopefully the threat of you taking action on that item as well as reporting the title jumping, will help him see that his best bet is to give you all of your money back.

This is a sell between two individuals, he does not have a dealers license.
I went to his house to meet him, and I would say he's living large, huge house! So I would assume he has 7G's

So I should get in touch with what type of agency to figure out the fines or fees on the title jumping?

There's no question that the guy scammed you. Unfortunately, guys like that often fall through the cracks and never get punished. You can sue him till the cows come home and he will likely ignore the lawsuit and you'll get a default judgment for which you might never see a nickel.

This may be a hard pill to swallow but I suggest you pay the taxes and put up a Defective Title Bond so you can get title, register the vehicle and get some use out of it until you can properly resell it and get some of your money back or use it until you run it into the ground.

The choices seem to be take a small loss and use the vehicle or take a large loss and don't use the vehicle.

In case you are interested here's some information about Defective Title bonds:

Georgia Code - Motor Vehicles & Traffic - Title 40, Section 40-3-28 - Georgia Attorney Resources - Georgia Laws

http://dor.georgia.gov/sites/dor.ge...Vehicle_Certificate_of_Title_Bond_MV-46_0.pdf

Print those out and take them to the DMV and see if you qualify to do that.

The other lesson is NEVER to buy anything from KILLERSLIST.
The majority of junk sold on KILLERSLIST isn't worth the prospect of saving a few bucks, or losing your life.

Agree with army judge though too late now. Buying from Craigslist is a buyer beware experience. Good luck to you.

The other lesson is NEVER to buy anything from KILLERSLIST.
The majority of junk sold on KILLERSLIST isn't worth the prospect of saving a few bucks, or losing your life.

Wow. Where is that coming from?

I've bought and sold many, many cars and trucks on Craigslist for the last 40 years, both drivers and collectible vehicles. Two minor issues back in the 70s when I was learning the ropes but nothing bad since then.

However, Betty3 is correct, it's buyer beware situation and I've walked away from more cars than I've bought when there is even a wisp of a suspicious story.

Unless you want to get ripped off by a lying, thieving used car dealer, Craigslist is the best game in town if you know what you are doing.

Wow. Where is that coming from?

I've bought and sold many, many cars and trucks on Craigslist for the last 40 years, both drivers and collectible vehicles. Two minor issues back in the 70s when I was learning the ropes but nothing bad since then.

However, Betty3 is correct, it's buyer beware situation and I've walked away from more cars than I've bought when there is even a wisp of a suspicious story.

Unless you want to get ripped off by a lying, thieving used car dealer, Craigslist is the best game in town if you know what you are doing.

I call it KILLERSLIST because people have been killed buying junk on that site.
The son of one of my best friends was robbed and killed trying to sell a car to a couple THUGS.
I could cite other misfortunes, but the one I cited is all the proof I require.
Happy to hear your experience using KILLERSLIST has been rewarding.

I don't think YOU can sue or bring charges regarding the title jumping. You may be able to report it to a state agency, then it would be up to them to pursue charges.

I call it KILLERSLIST because people have been killed buying junk on that site.
The son of one of my best friends was robbed and killed trying to sell a car to a couple THUGS.
I could cite other misfortunes, but the one I cited is all the proof I require.

Yes, that's one way of looking at it and the following link to 35 heinous Craigslist crimes proves your point.

Craig's List Crimes: 35 True Horros Commited via Craig's List | Background Checks.org

However, people are frequently killed in schools, churches, restaurants, public places, etc. I suppose there are people who cease going to those places but most don't.

According to Craigslist, 60 million people per month us Craigslist in the US.

Considering the odds, the risk of dying from an auto accident is much greater than the risk of dying from a Craigslist transaction.

I'll take the odds and not fault anybody for not taking them.

Yes, that's one way of looking at it and the following link to 35 heinous Craigslist crimes proves your point.

Craig's List Crimes: 35 True Horros Commited via Craig's List | Background Checks.org

However, people are frequently killed in schools, churches, restaurants, public places, etc. I suppose there are people who cease going to those places but most don't.

According to Craigslist, 60 million people per month us Craigslist in the US.

Considering the odds, the risk of dying from an auto accident is much greater than the risk of dying from a Craigslist transaction.

I'll take the odds and not fault anybody for not taking them.

I know the dangers of this world all too well.
I did FOUR, ONE YEAR TOURS IN 'NAM as a Ranger.
All of them, back to back to back to back.

That said, I'm pleased to hear you're happy with your KILLERSLIST shopping experience.

Enjoy your junk.

Temple Craigslist sale ends in armed robbery

Back