Bought a new car- lein still hasnt been paid and no plates from dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stressed0ut

I purchased a car from a major dealership in New Jersey during the last week of October. I traded in my old car, received the new car with temp tags then. The temp tags expired on November 23, 2014. All paperwork was not fully signed until the second week of November, and additional information was required to be submitting by the bank the loan was through during the third week of November. So we were already behind in getting everything finalized on paper before my temp tags expired. Every week after that I was told by the salesman who sold me the car at the dealership that my plates and registration would be in any day now and my previous lein holder would receive the payoff any day. This has been going on since the third week of November. "Any day now, relax it'll be ok, you won't get pulled over, you won't get a ticket, even if you did I would pay for it". Then during the third week of December I get a call from the salesman saying that there's been a problem, he made a mistake submitting my paperwork, never noticed it was returned to him by the dealership office, and didn't resubmit it. So that's why I hadn't gotten my plates or the lein holder had not gotten their check. He said he rushed out the check and paperwork as a "priority 1 via USPS" and it should get there by December 23. It is now December 26, my temp tags are a month expired, and I am being told that I have to wait another day for my plates and that the lein holder has not received their check.

Is it in any way legal or "ok" for me to be driving around with expired temp tags? I keep being told that "it's ok" but I am terrified that I will be pulled over and ticketed or worse have my license suspended for driving a vehicle with expired registration. So far I have not driven my car unless I absolutely positively have to. It's put a huge strain on my boyfriend and I as he has had to drive me almost everywhere during this holiday season.

Also, I am incredibly stressed out about the lein holder receiving this check. What "jargon" can I use when speaking to the dealer to put some pressure on him to pay off the debt he agreed to pay off. He keeps telling me "its in the mail, its been sent" and while I don't know why I would be getting the runaround - I am. I double checked all the contracts I signed, and the lein information is entered correctly in it. So on paper I know they agreed to include this lein and pay off the current lein holder in full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back