Bought a car, never transferred the title...the owner got a duplicate. Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalee

Last Feb I bought a truck for $1400. I never transferred the title because the truck wasnt running right and it just didnt become an issue (I THOUGHT).

Well the original owner contacted me and asked could he buy the truck back. I was elated :D . He then came to my office with a sad story about his van being stolen and could he borrow the truck and begin to do the work he agreed to do to pay it off.

Needless to say that was in August and I had to chase him around around to get him to do the stuff he promised. Finally this month he stop giving me the run around and just stopped answering.

I went to his house because I noticed them taking the truck apart. I was going to take pictures and find out what was going on.

They explained to me that I was so stupid not to transfer the title and now that they got a duplicate, that it overrides the title I have.

Do I have a case in civil court?

I am soooooo mad. Who do these people think they are?

Help!!!!! : :mad:

You absolutely do have a case in court. How did you pay for the truck? Show proof of payment and that will help your case. Technically you could report the vehicle as being stolen but I wonder how seriously they will take you considering it is almost 9 months later. You should take him to court. Here's another question -- if you loaned him the truck, whose insurance and registration was on the truck?

lisalee said:
Last Feb I bought a truck for $1400. I never transferred the title because the truck wasnt running right and it just didnt become an issue (I THOUGHT).

Well the original owner contacted me and asked could he buy the truck back. I was elated :D . He then came to my office with a sad story about his van being stolen and could he borrow the truck and begin to do the work he agreed to do to pay it off.

Needless to say that was in August and I had to chase him around around to get him to do the stuff he promised. Finally this month he stop giving me the run around and just stopped answering.

I went to his house because I noticed them taking the truck apart. I was going to take pictures and find out what was going on.

They explained to me that I was so stupid not to transfer the title and now that they got a duplicate, that it overrides the title I have.

Do I have a case in civil court?

I am soooooo mad. Who do these people think they are?

Help!!!!! : :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back