Bought A Bad Used Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloverlady

On Friday, July 10, 2009, I purchased a used 1994 Camaro from a private seller. I was told the car had a bad catalytic converter that would need to be replaced. I took the car to my mechanic on Monday, July 13, 2009, to have this done. I was told that it needed a rebuilt or new engine and not a catalytic converter as the seller had told me. My daughter, who is 25, was with me and a witness to all the seller said. Since a repair that started out to be less than $200 has turned into one that is $1000-$2000, is the seller liable for the cost of another engine?

Only if you have something in writing stating a warranty of some sort, or something saying the engine was in good shape. You have to remember this is a 15 year old car. It's going to have issues. Also, how well do you trust the mechanic? Is he/she telling you this to get more money out of you?

NO, This is a used car and used cars are sold "As Is" ---any time you purchase a used car do not rely on the seller to tell you what is wrong with the car--- take a mechanic that knows about engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back