Boss read personal mail that was left behind after layoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

renae

Hi I was laid off from my previous job on July 10, 2009 due to business slowing down. Well I wasn't given much notice (same day) so I had to gather my belongings and leave. Well I didn't realize that I had left a very important letter from my mortgage company regarding my home going into foreclosure. I had two bosses while working for my previous employer. The female boss found the letter, highlighted it and showed it to my other boss. My boss (male) told his wife out of concern for me and she called just to make sure I was ok. Well she told me about the letter that my female boss had found and how she was showing others about it. I am very angry. First of all, if an employee leaves belongings behind, she should have called me to pick them up or sent it to me in the mail. Why did she read the letter when it was addressed to me?
My husband and I were able to save our home (thank God) but just the idea of someone invading my privacy and sharing details about my foreclosure with coworkers is very appalling. Can I sue her and my employer or just her personally?

Sorry so long but thanks for reading.

You can't sue anyone. You left the letter behind. She had every right to assume that something left on her property after you had left for the last time (and which you shouldn't have had at work in the first place if you were worried about privacy) was trash/not private.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back