Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

stupidmove

I purchased a used boat in 2009 and split the $5000 cost with the man I was dating at the time.
That bat turned out to be a lemon and we decided to trade it in on a new boat. His credit was not substantial enough for financing, so I agreed to add my name as long as he agreed to make the payments, which he has done ever since. We also agreed that is things didn't work between us, hedput the boat and loan in his name.
We split up a few months later and I kept the boat on my pier during this time. He asked that I do not use it and I didn't. I paid to have it winterized and shrinkwrapped and we both agreed to store it in my barn until he arranged for refinancing. He towed it to my barn.
The boat has been in my possession and he has made every payment. He attempted refinancing but was turned down. He has asked everysummer to be allowed to use the boat since he's paid for it, and I refuse until he puts it in his own name, as per our original agreement.
He contacted me a couple of weeks ago stating thathe had a buyer for the boat and wanted me to allow him to show it. I brought the boat to my home, told him tere was a tear in the shrinkwrap and asked if he wanted me to uncover and clean the boat. He said yes. So I spent three hours cleaning the boat for him to show.
He brings the couple down, he hooks up the battery (which he took back in 2009). They spend about an hour on the boat in the driveway before he asks if they can put it in the water. I said no, because it is obviously a brand new boat and that it was winterized. If they were interested, to have them get the finances in order and then they can test drive it. I veven offered to tow the boat an hour away so they didn't have to make a second trip down. We agreed on a date to do this of June 3. He was irritated that is till wouldn't allow him to take the boat, stating that he wouldn't "screw me", but agreed to the date of June 3.
In the meantime, he re registered the trailer tag online and emailed a temporary tag to me. I asked about the status of the financing and he never responded.
Yesterday, I moved the boat out of my driveway to make room for cars to park for a cookout. It was taken about 5 minutes away, to my barn lot and left parked on the edge of the lot. It was my intention to pick it up after the bbq and put it bck in my driveway until June 3rd. My barn lot is in a good neighborhood and the boat was left attached to my friends vehicle.
Not even an hour later, I receive a text from him stating that he "was in the neighborhood and saw his boat on the side of th rod, so he took it.' He lives an hour away, so it is obvious he wasn't just 'in the neighborhood'. My gut feeling tells me that he does not have a buyer at all, that he just wanted posession of the boat so he can use it.
I called police and of course they said there is no theft and he wasn't tresspassing because I didn't have signs posted.
I have stood by our original agreement since day one and I do not want my name on a boat that he is using for the next 13 years. He has remarried and I've suggested that he refinance and add his wifes name to the boat, and his reply isthat he doesn't want to go through all the hassle.
What are my options, for getting my name off of this boat, if any? He has broken our agreement by taking the boat. And while MD DNR supposedly requires both signatures to obtain valid stickers, I imagine he will forge my signature.

I suggest you sell the boat.
The lender has YOU on the hook, not the deadbeat.
So, selling the boat is your only legal option.
That is, if you can sell the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back