Boat Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdickman

I recently bought a boat for a negociated sum of money that was agreed upon from an individual owner. During this process i asked the current boat owner on three occasions if there was anything wrong with the boat. All three times he said that the boat had nothing broken and that he took good care of it. After the purchase was finalized we took the to the marina and i had a mechanic briefly look at it before we put it in the water for the first time. After a quick review he noticed that there was a problem with one of the boats lower unit gimble rings and said that it would cost me about $2,400.00 to fix this problem.

After returning from the weekend i called the former owner and told him of this problem and he denied the fact that he had any knowledge of this problem and then proceeded to tell me that it wouldnt cost that much to fix and then he started quoting prices for such parts etc... the entire time he was on speaker phone and my wife was listening to the conversation. The last thing he said was that he would not pay and Buyer Beware!!!

Do you think this is a good case for small claims court?

Your case is a difficult one. Was the boat bought "as is?" You can take him to small claims court and, if there was no clear statement, then it is possible you might recover some damages. I wouldn't be expecting to win but it's difficult to say. It will come down to credibility. Unless you can show that the seller knew or should have known about the problem and he deliberately tried to conceal it from you... I'd say you have a problem. Why didn't you have a mechanic look at the boat before the purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back