Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Boarding situation

Jurisdiction
Florida
Hi
Basically I own a rescue 501c and came into a situation I had to board some of the rescue dogs.
I placed a hold check I signed dated the check for the 31st, I did not write in an amout, and the agreement was I would make payments and at the end of the month we would have a discussion on the amount and moving forward and so forth.
In the process of the month numerous things occured the rescue had no funds and I was trying to personally pay everything out of my personal funds. I contacted them and instructed them not to put the check in it was a hold check and I make arrangements for another rescue person with a previous working relationship to make payment arrangements for me, I was dealing with so much stress I was on the verge of losing my mind. She said fine and did have a conversation with the owner about not putting the check in and she explained the situation and informed him I would need to make so kind of payment arrangements. About a week later I received a call from the check cashing store regarding a check I wrote for 2390.00 dollars I said I wrote no such check I looked at the rescue bank account and behold the owner of the boarding facility cashed the check anyhow. I called my friend that was supposed to be working on the situation and she then tells me he did respond she sent me screen shots of a text messaging conversation where she told him not to cash the check I will make payments he responded "Suli (friend helping) christina by a lot of sad that your're giving me a check tomorrow for $2390.00 and a time to deal directly with you she told that to Robert I cannot take payments I need a check tomorrow or I'm putting this check through and everyone will have to pay the fees or the court fees or the attorney fees I don't really give a s*** I need 2390 tomorrow thank you" Yes I should have been to told about this on the 30th i was not informed until over a week later when the check cashing store called me. Since then its been for weeks I've called I have gone there the owner is never there. I did finally get to him 2 sundays ago and he refused to make any arrangement with me he said to deal with his lawyer however refused to give me the info hes just holding them there every day to keep adding to the bill.
One of the dogs had a meet and greet 2 sundays ago and she was to be adopted, the owner wouldnt't answer my calls so I called the facility no response and the worker called me back I explained shes adopted and has an amazing home and I would be more then happy to give them the adoption fee. He called me back later and said if you bring 200.00 you can take her so I did. He then contacted me and told me if I can make a 500.00 payment I can pick my dogs up. I will make arrangements to pay down my entire balance. I am being told I can be criminally charged for the check and taking the dogs. I am a single mom and extremely concerned I have never been in trouble and nothing that was done was intentional I have been trying to rectify the situation and getting no where. What should I be expecting and what are my rights.

Hi
Basically I own a rescue 501c and came into a situation I had to board some of the rescue dogs.
I placed a hold check I signed dated the check for the 31st, I did not write in an amout, and the agreement was I would make payments and at the end of the month we would have a discussion on the amount and moving forward and so forth.
In the process of the month numerous things occured the rescue had no funds and I was trying to personally pay everything out of my personal funds. I contacted them and instructed them not to put the check in it was a hold check and I make arrangements for another rescue person with a previous working relationship to make payment arrangements for me, I was dealing with so much stress I was on the verge of losing my mind. She said fine and did have a conversation with the owner about not putting the check in and she explained the situation and informed him I would need to make so kind of payment arrangements. About a week later I received a call from the check cashing store regarding a check I wrote for 2390.00 dollars I said I wrote no such check I looked at the rescue bank account and behold the owner of the boarding facility cashed the check anyhow. I called my friend that was supposed to be working on the situation and she then tells me he did respond she sent me screen shots of a text messaging conversation where she told him not to cash the check I will make payments he responded "Suli (friend helping) christina by a lot of sad that your're giving me a check tomorrow for $2390.00 and a time to deal directly with you she told that to Robert I cannot take payments I need a check tomorrow or I'm putting this check through and everyone will have to pay the fees or the court fees or the attorney fees I don't really give a s*** I need 2390 tomorrow thank you" Yes I should have been to told about this on the 30th i was not informed until over a week later when the check cashing store called me. Since then its been for weeks I've called I have gone there the owner is never there. I did finally get to him 2 sundays ago and he refused to make any arrangement with me he said to deal with his lawyer however refused to give me the info hes just holding them there every day to keep adding to the bill.
One of the dogs had a meet and greet 2 sundays ago and she was to be adopted, the owner wouldnt't answer my calls so I called the facility no response and the worker called me back I explained shes adopted and has an amazing home and I would be more then happy to give them the adoption fee. He called me back later and said if you bring 200.00 you can take her so I did. He then contacted me and told me if I can make a 500.00 payment I can pick my dogs up. I will make arrangements to pay down my entire balance. I am being told I can be criminally charged for the check and taking the dogs. I am a single mom and extremely concerned I have never been in trouble and nothing that was done was intentional I have been trying to rectify the situation and getting no where. What should I be expecting and what are my rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Writing a post dated check with no amount is the stupidest thing anybody can do. Once it's out there it doesn't matter what you or anybody else says. If it gets cashed you're in trouble.

It's not clear who is making all these threats.

If the check cashing place wants you to cover the check that it paid on, you'd best find the cash to cover it fast or you might just be subject to civil and criminal penalties.

If the boarding place says you need to come up with cash to cover any additional fees to get your dogs back, well, that's something you need to take up with them.

"I am a single mom"

Is that your excuse for getting into something you weren't capable of handling?

"and extremely concerned I have never been in trouble and nothing that was done was intentional I have been trying to rectify the situation and getting no where."

None of that matters.

"What should I be expecting"

That you could be sued and criminally prosecuted for the bad check although criminal prosecution is iffy.

"what are my rights."

You have many rights. Wouldn't serve any purpose to list them here as they aren't likely to apply.

Basically, you come up with the cash to cover this mess or you suffer the consequences.

If I don't appear sympathetic, just go back to my first paragraph and you'll see why.

PS: As noble as your dog rescue service is, I suggest you get out of it until you are financially capable of handling it.

Back