BMW Trademark Infringement For Selling Items on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAA1234

I have recently received a letter from a law firm that represents BMW for trademark infringement. The letter have serious statements in it which makes me very concerned. Ebay had terminated a listing regarding this BMW item a few weeks back, and I didn't think too much of it until this letter came. I was selling a small item on ebay with BMW logo on it. I've seen other sellers selling similar items so I didn't think it was a problem.

I've never heard anything from Ebay regarding the listing until recently. In the past 3 years I have sold about $600 total. The letter has 20 something pages and it has statement to demand a Jury Trial on 1st page after title page. There is also a separate request sheet asking me to provide all my sources for the item and all of the transaction history. I worked with eBay to gather all the past history and I was able to sort out all the sales of this item. I have mailed out the letter with requested information to them and apologize for this mistake. What should I be expecting in return from the law firm? Also what should I do at this time?

Any feedback or prior experiences with BMW will be very appreciated.

Thank you.

You had no duty to even respond to a letter from a law firm.
You did yourself potential serious harm in many ways by sending the law firm any information.
Think about this, if the law firm had any legal legs to stand on, why not demand eBay give them information directly?
See the problem with what you did?

You have the right to not answer questions asked by anyone or anything.
You have the right to remain silent.
You have the right not to incriminate yourself.

That said, you don't have to apologize for anything.

All you had to do, was stop selling.
Even then, eBay took action and stopped the selling.

So, now you wait.
You ratted out sources, you ratted out yourself, gave your private information and admitted to doing things.
The scamming law firm, might not even be a law firm, will probably demand you send them money.

If you are smart, don't. The law firm probably isn't a law firm, just a clever thief.
Even if they're a law firm, so what?
Even if you were sued, which they won't do, a judge can't even force you to pay.

Let this go, stop responding, curiosity killed the cat. Contrary to the saying, satisfaction can't bring anything back.

Thanks for the reply. It did seem like the law firm got my name and mailing information from Ebay to send me this mail. Is there a way to find out if this law firm is legit and does represent BMW?

Thanks for the reply. It did seem like the law firm got my name and mailing information from Ebay to send me this mail. Is there a way to find out if this law firm is legit and does represent BMW?

Google, Bing, or Yahoo the name of the firm.
You can also check the law firm out on www.ripoffreport.com

A vast majority of those law firms are scams.
That doesn't mean the firm is not under the charge of a licensed lawyer.
It does mean that many of them make money by scaring and scamming trusting people.

No reputable lawyer (or prosecutor) tries to scare you or warn you about legal action.

A solid law firm or lawyer would simply file a lawsuit.
You would then be served by a deputy, marshal, pr process server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back