Birth certificate

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinBean

My ex-girlfriend just gave birth to our son (I just had a DNA test done) and she refuses to put my name on the birth certificate. She wants child support but will not put my name on the birth certificate. What is my right as a biological father? I would like to have my name on the birth certificate and I would like for him to have my last name.

An unwed mother need give no consideration to any name the unwed father wishes the child to carry.

An unwed father has few rights, unless he petitions a court to order custody and visitation.

Custody of a newborn normally goes to mom, dad will eventually get visitation.

That said, she's working the support angle, so the court will address that, too.

Life is complex when you're married and have kids, you're about to see how complicated it can become when you're unmarried and have kids.

Better hire a lawyer, dad.

(In most states - Ohio included - even a married Mom doesn't have to give the child her husband's name ;) )

You already should have a court date if she is seeking support so you might address name issue then. You might also agree to a mixture of names like Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt have done (Jolie-Pitt) The DNA test you took may not be valid in court so this may only be first court date as court may order another court approved test to determine if you are the Father or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back