Consumer Fraud Billed for Services not Requested

npaganelli

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Got an $80 bill from Waste Management for trash service I never ordered, at a different address in town that I never lived at. After wife called she found out the total bill was nearly $1100. My wife was given the runaround and told I needed to call them because my name is on the bill, but that I ordered the service in 2012. When I called, I got the same runaround, although it was the end of the day. Our fees for this service have always been, for the last 14 years at the same address, paid directly through the township of West Pottsgrove. I want to know what to do if, when I call tomorrow, nobody wants to work through the issue with me and I'm given the same runaround. What can I say to make them take real action instead of putting me off? Should I go to a local lawyer to explain the situation and cut my losses? What's the worst that can happen if I refuse to pay for services I never ordered? Shouldn't they have to prove that I ordered the service? Is court an option?

What can I say to make them take real action instead of putting me off?

There is NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, you can say to make a SCAMMER or DEBT SCAVENGER stop trying to fleece legitimate or illegitimate money out of your wallet.

If you are sued, you defend in court.

If the SCAMMER or CREDITOR is impacting your FICO, you can file a dispute regarding the debt with all THREE credit bureaus, for whatever good that does.

Once you get caught up on the DEBT SCAVENGER merry-go-round it is very difficult to get off.

If you have DEFINITIVE proof that demonstrates the alleged debt is NOT yours, you send copies to the debtor.

You can also consult a lawyer about the issue.

Some people try to cut a deal with the creditor to pay a negotiated amount to have the debt paid in full.

Some people might also declare bankruptcy, the only sure fired way to make the problem go away, other than paying the tribute demanded in FULL.

One more thought for consideration, sometimes a scammer will have used your personal details to establish credit in your name.

You need to investigate to see if maybe this has happened in regard to this allegation.

What can I say to make them take real action instead of putting me off?

We have no way of knowing what "magic words" you might say to make persons who are unknown to us take action that you regard as "real action."

Should I go to a local lawyer to explain the situation and cut my losses?

That wouldn't seem to be a productive thing to do at this point.

What's the worst that can happen if I refuse to pay for services I never ordered?

I would imagine that the "worst thing that can happen" (theoretically) is that someone kills or inflicts great bodily harm upon you and/or members of your family. More likely, you could be sued or the company might report the matter on your credit report. If the former happens, then you'll have to defend yourself. If the latter happens, then you can submit a dispute pursuant to the terms of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Shouldn't they have to prove that I ordered the service?

If you're sued, the plaintiff will have the burden of proof. Actually "proving" or even having the ability to "prove" something to some hypothetical person before sending a bill isn't required.

Don't overthink this. Try and solve the problem informally. If that doesn't work, register your dispute in writing, then keep an eye on your credit report.

You might first try to verify that the bill you have received is authentic.
If so, request a detailed report of all charges.

If you believe it is a case of identity theft then report it to law enforcement.

You don't have to pay a penny just because you were sent a bill. If you refuse they will have to take the matter to court and convince a judge you owe the debt.

You might first try to verify that the bill you have received is authentic.
If so, request a detailed report of all charges.

If you believe it is a case of identity theft then report it to law enforcement.

You don't have to pay a penny just because you were sent a bill. If you refuse they will have to take the matter to court and convince a judge you owe the debt.

Thank you for taking the time to answer me. Appears to be a rather sophisticated scam. The bill looks real but the information about my supposed ordering of service is not clear. And the return address is for Phoenix, AZ instead of Houston, TX, where the company's headquarters are. Thinking that it would be a mistake to contact them again. Checked my credit report this morning and there is no history of Waste Management on it. Since they indicated that the account has been open since 2012, there would have been some negative credit impact from not paying anything since then. And the quarterly credit score that I get from one of my credit cards always says 100% on-time payments. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks again.

Checked my credit report this morning and there is no history of Waste Management on it.

A cursory Google search reveals the following:

The FIRST site might be similar to your issue:

Flagler County warns of scam under the guise of Waste Management

Waste Management Complaint

Waste Management - scam charges

BBB Business Profile | Waste Management | Reviews and Complaints

692 WASTE MANAGEMENT Reviews and Complaints @ Pissed Consumer

Waste Management - Unfair and scam OVERAGE charges to my Business Jul 14, 2017 @ Pissed Consumer

I suggest you contact Waste Management Corporate Office, not the contact numbers on the FAKE BILL.

Here you go:

Corporate office directory assistance only.
Phone: (713) 512-6200.
Monday – Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm (CST)

Contact Us | Waste Management

To locate an office NEAR you, search below:

Waste Management

A cursory Google search reveals the following:

The FIRST site might be similar to your issue:

Flagler County warns of scam under the guise of Waste Management

Waste Management Complaint

Waste Management - scam charges

BBB Business Profile | Waste Management | Reviews and Complaints

692 WASTE MANAGEMENT Reviews and Complaints @ Pissed Consumer

Waste Management - Unfair and scam OVERAGE charges to my Business Jul 14, 2017 @ Pissed Consumer

I suggest you contact Waste Management Corporate Office, not the contact numbers on the FAKE BILL.

Here you go:

Corporate office directory assistance only.
Phone: (713) 512-6200.
Monday – Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm (CST)

Contact Us | Waste Management

To locate an office NEAR you, search below:

Waste Management
Thank you.

Back