Billed for repair and amount added to rent the following month

Status
Not open for further replies.

newkitty2

My landlord has billed me after replacing a Cracked window, in my apartment, when I did not cause the damage. I told them I would not pay for it and I was advised that the bill amount ($150) would turn into unpaid rent next month and if I didnt pay it at that time I would receive a 3 day notice. How is it possible for an unpaid repair turn into unpaid rent? I do have a 12 month lease. When I first moved in I paid the security deposit in two payments and was late on the 2nd payment and that amount also turned into "unpaid rent" and I didreceive a 3 day notice at that time. As long as I pay the amount of the rent specified in the lease can they still evict me for unpaid rent?

Read your lease.
Understand your lease.
Your answers are in your lease.

Who do you think should pay for the broken window?

Why?

Your landlord's option to compel you to pay for the window is by filing small claims.
DO not pay the "additional rent" if you don't accept responsibility for the window. The landlord won't get far with an attempt to evict over this.

How did the window break?

My landlord has billed me after replacing a Cracked window, in my apartment, when I did not cause the damage. I told them I would not pay for it and I was advised that the bill amount ($150) would turn into unpaid rent next month and if I didnt pay it at that time I would receive a 3 day notice. How is it possible for an unpaid repair turn into unpaid rent? I do have a 12 month lease. When I first moved in I paid the security deposit in two payments and was late on the 2nd payment and that amount also turned into "unpaid rent" and I didreceive a 3 day notice at that time. As long as I pay the amount of the rent specified in the lease can they still evict me for unpaid rent?

If you cannot prove who cracked the window, than the LL blames you. You live there you take responsibility. He should have added that amount to your rent, not take it off. But you need to see what your lease says. If it says that repairs not paid for will be treated as rent, than if you sign your lease with that statement, you have agreed to that term. As stated, your answer is in the lease.

Lets make things simpler. Do yo have a lease or written rental agreement? If yes what does it say (if anything) about such repairs? We can go forward after that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back