Bill of sale versus title

Bjoe35598

Jurisdiction
Missouri
I bought a motorcycle and my girlfriend told me I didnt have to sign title till I tagged it. She then took title and signed it, then registered it in her name. She then had bike towed from my work and the police said it was a civil matter now. I have a copy of bill of sale with only my signature plus every text me and seller made during the deal. I cant get bike back now, is that legal?

I bought a motorcycle and my girlfriend told me I didnt have to sign title till I tagged it.

You tend to inflict great harm upon yourself when you listen to a NON-LAWYER spewing alleged legal advice.

If you have a medical concern, most people don't seek medical advice/treatment from a fry cook.

She then took title and signed it, then registered it in her name.

A scammer uses many tricks and diversions to steal your stuff.

She then had bike towed from my work and the police said it was a civil matter now.

In this particular circumstance, even a non-lawyer, peace officer got it right.

I have a copy of bill of sale with only my signature plus every text me and seller made during the deal.

The seller also aided the scammer in her diabolical scam.

=================================================

This is how the sale should have been transacted in Missouri:

When you sell a vehicle, other than a trade-in or sale to a Missouri dealer, you have certain legal responsibilities.

You must provide the following to the vehicle buyer:

Properly assigned Certificate of Title (see instructions);
*Safety inspection certificate, less than 60 days old;
*An emissions inspection not more than 60 days old, if you reside in St. Louis City or the following counties: Franklin, Jefferson, St. Charles, or St. Louis; and
Lien Release (Form 4809), notarized, if applicable.

Before the purchaser takes possession of the vehicle, remove your license plates (whether they are valid or expired).

Remember: All sellers and purchasers must print their names and sign the back of the title in the assignment area. These signatures do not need to be notarized. The seller must write in the odometer reading and date of sale. You may not use correction fluid (white-out) or erase marks from the title.

You must report the sale of your vehicle to the Department of Revenue.

Effective January 1, 2006, the seller of a motor vehicle, trailer, or all-terrain vehicle must report the sale within 30 days to the Department. Sellers, other than Missouri licensed dealers, must submit a completed Notice of Sale (Form 5049) or Bill of Sale (Form 1957) form to report the sale.

Notice of Sale Reporting Requirement

General Affidavit REQUIRED: https://dor.mo.gov/forms/768.pdf

The new vehicle owner:

Must submit the completed General Affidavit (above) with the other required title and registration documents;
Will not pay state or local tax on a gift transaction; and
Cannot use or transfer the license plates that were on the vehicle at the time it was gifted (if applicable).

I suggest you VISIT your local DOR and see if you can FIX this mess.
If I were YOU, I'd be there first thing in the morning.

You also missed this requirement, mate:

Do I need a notarized bill of sale in Missouri?
Yes, a Missouri bill of sale is required to register your vehicle.

You'll also need a certificate of title or a manufacturer's statement of origin, a signed Application for Missouri Title and License (Form 108), an odometer inspection, a completed odometer disclosure form, and a notarized lien release (if applicable).

Must a Missouri title need to be notarized?

All sellers and purchasers must print their names and sign the back of the title in the assignment area.

These signatures do not need to be notarized.

The seller must write in the odometer reading and date of sale.

=======================================

I bought a motorcycle and my girlfriend told me I didnt have to sign title till I tagged it. She then took title and signed it, then registered it in her name. She then had bike towed from my work and the police said it was a civil matter now. I have a copy of bill of sale with only my signature plus every text me and seller made during the deal. I cant get bike back now, is that legal?
I wasnt asking for someone to make me look stupid buddy so keep your opinions to yourself next time. Jesus christ, I've lost my bike and my job and you want to get smart with me?

I wasnt asking for someone to make me look stupid buddy so keep your opinions to yourself next time. Jesus christ, I've lost my bike and my job and you want to get smart with me?

With your attitude I'm not surprised you have problems.

You were given advice and opinions which is what you came here for. End of story.

You acquitted yourself well in looking stupid without any assistance.

ATTABOY...

You don't need anyone to make you look stupid...You manage well enough on your own.

Back