Beyond small claims--ex owes me $13K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damyh

My jurisdiction is: Maine

Here's the background: I was living with this guy (who is a realtor, business was bad, etc) and I let him use my credit card. I then opened a card up in both of our names, moved the balance he had incurred on my original card. He was to pay the minimums.

When he couldn't pay the minimum I of course picked it up so as not to hurt my credit. Bottom line, he racked up over $12K on the card, I took his name off the card and between that and cash he borrowed I'm out over $13K (he has paid about $750 back, plus I've taken off money for household items that I'm keeping such as the grill, lawn mower, etc.). I made him move out about 3weeks ago. He still hasn't moved out his clothes, dive gear, and a few other items.

I realize that I am an idiot for getting into this in the first place but is there any way to legally hold him accountable? He owns two properties, neither of which he lives in (one his mother is in and the other his brother) and he just refinanced the VT place to get some money to live for the next few months (and this is how he gave me the $750). This guy is an irresponsible moron and apparently spent half his life sucking money out of his father, who passed away about 4 years ago.

Help. Honestly I'd be happy getting HALF the money back.

I'm looking for a wetsuit... ;)

You could limit your claim to $4500 and sue him in small claims. Otherwise, you'd go to regular court. You'd need a lawyer - $14,000 is probably enough to make it worth your while. You might be able to register your judgment against his properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back