Consumer Fraud Beware of Energy Slam Scams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pleasehelpmeout

This is a thank you to people here and warning to anyone who gets approached by these S Co companies or is it ESCO? I had a guy show up at my door asking to see my energy bill. I was like "what the?" This guy didn't even know my name and I am showing him the bill which has all my info on it because he has some official looking name tag?

So this guy basically is paid by an energy company to convince people to switch from Con Edison to these guys. He told me that I would still get a Con Edison bill but it would be cheaper and use cleaner energy, whatever that means, because it comes from windmills and solar power and clean energy sources. I am all for the environment but friends told me that these escos are just middle people selling pretty much the same thing and some are really shady. They don't totally tell you that signing away your energy contract to them could mean you will actually pay more because of the way they handle everything. Pretty scary. So if somebody shows up at your home and asks to have you show them your phone bill so they can show you where you can demand your clean energy, be warned!!!!

I never open my door for any uninvited guests.

I never open my door for any uninvited guests.
LOL. :)

I've had this happen before and it's not uncommon in Manhattan. These people get into a non-doorman apartment complex and knock on doors and one cannot be sure whether it's the exterminator, mail delivery, dry cleaners, etc. The "clean energy" companies have been "slamming" customers, singing them up without realizing what they are doing. Check this out from the FCC dealing with phone company (long distance) slamming and the same goes for energy companies.

"Slamming" is the illegal practice of switching a consumer's traditional...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back