Better to fight tickets or just give in?

CPacheco

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Hi- Today I received two tickets. One for failing to turn in a left turn only lane and the other for unsafe lane change. I'm willing to eat the turning one because I was unsure whether I HAD to turn or not. I didn't see signs and the arrows on the pavement were faded but I did see them when I checked in the rear view mirror afterward. So, I figured if I had the least bit of doubt I should've taken the turn. However, the unsafe lane change is just BS. I signaled, I checked my mirrors and I only changed lanes when I judged the car behind and to the right of me to be a safe distance away for me to make the lane change. The tickets were given at the same time by the same officer. He was rude, didn't let me explain/defend myself and left me feeling as if I were some horrible criminal. It's too soon for me to check online the cost of each ticket but I've been googling and from what I've found I could have up to 5 points on my license. That's absurd. I don't know what to do and am freaking out. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Go to court and plead not guilty. Chances are that you'll be offered a plea bargain where one is dropped and you pay on the other. If not, go to trial and defend. You might be able to show that the lane change was safe but probably won't beat the other one.

Make sure you look up and read both statutes and go online to find potential defenses.

Another alternative might be to go to traffic school on one and only get the other one on your record.

Go to court and plead not guilty. Chances are that you'll be offered a plea bargain where one is dropped and you pay on the other. If not, go to trial and defend. You might be able to show that the lane change was safe but probably won't beat the other one.

Make sure you look up and read both statutes and go online to find potential defenses.

Another alternative might be to go to traffic school on one and only get the other one on your record.

Thank you

...didn't let me explain/defend myself...

There is no requirement that he do that. That activity is not for the side of the road - it's for court.

Quite frankly, I know what I see and I don't need to hear some BS story from someone trying to justify their illegal actions.

If you want to spend the money, you might talk to a traffic law attorney. They generally can get you the best outcome possible.

There is no requirement that he do that. That activity is not for the side of the road - it's for court.

Quite frankly, I know what I see and I don't need to hear some BS story from someone trying to justify their illegal actions.

First of all, if you actually read my post you'd have seen that I accepted responsibility for the first ticket. Secondly, your unhelpful comments are asinine. You weren't there. You didn't see what happened. I changed lanes safely as I have done since I first received my license 20yrs ago. My completely clean driving record is a testament to that. If you're not going to provide a solution for someone's thread don't waste your time and mine airing your grievances over what you think you know.

First of all, if you actually read my post...

Yeah, I did and you whined about not having a chance to explain and defend yourself. Guess what? You have no right to do that on the side of the road - that is why courts exist.

Almost everyone I stop thinks they did nothing wrong, or at least they pretend to think so, so from the officer perspective you are no different.

It's always best to OBEY all of their laws.

Why?

You never end up in one of their courtrooms, avoiding them picking your pocket!!!

Almost everyone I stop thinks they did nothing wrong, or at least they pretend to think so, so from the officer perspective you are no different.

Just out of curiousity, if you stop somebody and they politely own up to it and demonstrate contrition, do you let them go with a warning?

It's worked for me a couple of times.

It's always best to OBEY all of their laws.

Why?

You never end up in one of their courtrooms, avoiding them picking your pocket!!!
Yeah, I did and you whined about not having a chance to explain and defend yourself. Guess what? You have no right to do that on the side of the road - that is why courts exist.

In my case, I wasn't pretending. I owned up to the left turn ticket because I accept that it was my fault. Unsafe lane change, however, was a wrongly given ticket. If you had been there you would have the right to make assumptions about my character. But you weren't there and so have no right. You can't just presume that because the majority of the stops you make have liars or whiners behind the wheel that it means every driver is that way. You make yourself sound like a cynical and jaded whiner. So, I'll repeat, if you have nothing useful to add then stay off other people's posts. This is not a forum for you to vent over what you've found to be true in your experience as an officer. I'm asking for useful and helpful advice. I'm NOT asking to be berated and scolded by some holier than thou stranger.

In my case, I wasn't pretending. I owned up to the left turn ticket because I accept that it was my fault. Unsafe lane change, however, was a wrongly given ticket. If you had been there you would have the right to make assumptions about my character. But you weren't there and so have no right. You can't just presume that because the majority of the stops you make have liars or whiners behind the wheel that it means every driver is that way. You make yourself sound like a cynical and jaded whiner. So, I'll repeat, if you have nothing useful to add then stay off other people's posts. This is not a forum for you to vent over what you've found to be true in your experience as an officer. I'm asking for useful and helpful advice. I'm NOT asking to be berated and scolded by some holier than thou stranger.

Your character was never assailed, or impugned.
You've received information, I hope it's helpful.

Our rules are simple.
We don't encourage, and won't tolerate insults.
If you think you've been treated improperly, please use the methods our owner has employed to lodge a complaint.

I'm now closing the thread to prevent escalation and/or retaliation.
good luck.

Back