1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Best coarse of action

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling a Home or Residence' started by Tprice5, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Tprice5

Tprice5 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Ohio
    My loan officer didn't tell me that I had to be legally separated from my estranged wife before proceeding with the loan, now after the processing fee, the home inspection, and appraisal and earnest money I'm about to lose out on this house and the money I've invested in so far. What can I do? I feel helpless.

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Get legally separated from your wife.

Michael Wechsler likes this.
  3. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

A "separation agreement," in order to be a valid post-nuptial agreement in Ohio, must be executed in contemplation of the termination of the marriage and is part of the dissolution paperwork.

A legal separation is, on the other hand, an adversarial process identical procedurally to a divorce action.

Your lawyer can explain the rationale behind some lenders requiring an applicant to be "legally separated".

Ask him or her.

Legal Separation, Divorce and Dissolution — public