Beneficiary Relinquished rights to will

Status
Not open for further replies.

marie74

My jurisdiction is: arizona

My mother passed away a few years ago. In her will she left her real property to her boyfriend and her personal property to her children. My grandmother recently sold her house, after which she realized my mother was still on the property deed. My mother's portion of the proceeds from the sale by the wording of the will would go to her boyfriend. He has since signed the rights back over to the estate (to go to my grandmother). Who do the proceeds from the sale go to now? My grandma isn't named in the will. How will the proceeds get turned over to her? WHo will have to pay taxes?

Were your grandmother and mom on grandma's house as joint owners? If so, this whole exercise is academic. When your mother died, her share of the house passed to grandma. The boyfriend obtained no interest in it.

He has since signed the rights back over to the estate (to go to my grandmother).

I'm confused. Assuming the boyfriend DID inherit your mom's part of the house, if grandma is not a beneficiary under the will, how does signing the rights to real property back to the estate transfer it to her? It gets transferred back to the estate. If it's not specifically dealt with, it goes to the residual beneficiaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back