beneficiaries right to copy of trust

Status
Not open for further replies.

fish2732

At the time our Dad passed away, about five years ago, my sister and I were designated trustees and beneficiaries of our Dad's trust (I believe it was a by-pass trust).

Within days of Dad's passing, stepmother changed trustees to her sons and has never provided a copy of the trust or the name of the estate attorney used.

As designated beneficiaries do we have a right to receive a copy of the trust?

Outside of stepmother and atty. name, how might we go about getting a copy of the trust in the state of Texas?

Thanks,

Rick

A trust is a private document. In some states you may be be able to obtain a copy of a trust by sending a written notice to the trustee (best to be a certified letter) and request a copy of the trust and full accounting.

Is California one of those states?
It doesn't matter what state. A trust is impenetrable, except to those with a legal need to know.

Impenetrable? My 90 year old mother passed and left a trust worth about $5M. My older brother became the trustee and he tells me that I am not a beneficiary and will get nothing. He has a lifelong history of screwing me over every chance he got and I don't believe him. Is there any way to compel him to give me a copy?

Impenetrable? My 90 year old mother passed and left a trust worth about $5M. My older brother became the trustee and he tells me that I am not a beneficiary and will get nothing. He has a lifelong history of screwing me over every chance he got and I don't believe him. Is there any way to compel him to give me a copy?

I suggest you speak with an attorney in your hometown.
If it can be done, you can't do it alone.
It will require a court order.
Your brother is under NO legal obligation to so anything you request or demand.
However, that is NOT true when it comes to a court order.
I don't know what kind of trust, or even if there is a trust.
I don't want to know, either.
See an attorney, if $5,000,000 is involved, a good attorney will take your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back