Assault & Battery Being threatened with "sexual harassment." Charges are false, what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevdood83

Hi,

I used this forum once before and got some good advice, now I'm back with a very bizarre situation....

Here it goes....

My old roommate abandoned our lease and moved out Oct 1st.

We are both males. The Landlord re-drafted a lease just for me and changed the locks, and was happy to let me stay. (and happy to see my ex-roommate go.. who was chronically late w/ rent and had loud parties, big drinker, etc etc.)

All was well and good until the other day he broke into my apt. and took a couple of things while I was not home. (noting of major value.) He even admitted this over the phone. I of course called the police and explained the situation. The Cops were very nice and said they would speak to him. And that if he were to come back again to call again and file charges.

Here is where the sexual harassment part comes in...

The ex-roommate suddenly sends me these text messages saying if the cops bother him he will have his female friend (I will call her Amanda.) file sexual harassment charges against me!

I asked him what in the world he was talking about, and he referred to an incident 3 months ago where Amanda and I were laughing and goofing around and I hit her in the bum with a towel.

Now it should be known that Amanda did not care at the time, I even apologized to her later that week, and she responded with a text that said "don't be silly, no worries." Amanda and I got along well she even gave me a free bed when she bought a new one, and I have seen her several times over the last 3 months and we are absolutely cool with each other.

I have saved all the ranting texts my ex-roommate has sent me.

Specifically one from his phone that says "If you have the cops bother me I will have Amanda file sexual harassment charges against you. You will be so fucked."

I cant imagine Amanda (who is a nice/level headed girl) would actually go along with this. I cant imagine she would involve herself.

But what if she does?

Am I in trouble? What do I do? Should I keep these threatening text messages?

I have no record whatsoever, I have never experienced anything like this. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Go to the police IMMEDIATELY as part of your complaint. Let them know that you don't want them to act on this just yet, that you just want to get this on record. From there let things run their course.

With that said, there really aren't laws for sexual harassment in a case like this. What it would fall under is more of assault and or battery of sorts possibly even sexual battery. Just claiming that you hit her with a towel would be one hell of a stretch, but if she claimed anything else it could be an issue. That's why you need to show the police the text now, so if he does decide to file charges it will back fire on him.

Above all eles DO NOT tell him you went to the police with this. Let that part of it lie as is.

Hi tpajet,

Yes when the police were here I showed the officer the text message.

I was able to give the cop this info about my ex-roommate;

-His full name
-His make/model and license plate number. (his car is registered in NY, we live in Rhode Island.)
-His cell phone number

I do not know where the ex-roommate moved to in RI when he abandoned our lease, I only know its somewhere close-by. So the cop said he would drive around looking for his car, and if he did not find him he would "give him a call" with the cell number I gave.

The texts are of course date/time stamped from his number. So I suppose in court I would have these texts threatening me from before any complaint she might file. (Again I cant imagine this girl would actually go along with what he wants to do to "get back at me." Amanda is a nice level headed girl who teaches kindergarten. If she involves herself with frivolous charges from an innocent event 3 months ago I'd be shocked.)

I'm hoping this is just my insane ex-roommate throwing around empty threats... I mean he already abandoned a lease, has multiple DUI's, broke into an apt. and is now trying to get a friend to file frivolous charges from an innocent event 3 months ago. For all intents and purposed he's an alcoholic-wacko.

Should I contact the police again?

What should I say this time?

Its 7PM here, I suppose I could go over to the station first thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back