Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Being threatened with fraud charges

Akay

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
I was put on a friend's cell phone account as an authorized user which gave me the same rights and abilities and access to the account as if I were the account owner. While on thier plan they knew I had started the lines I did and they knew I had sold some of the phones as we discussed it. (It is not a crime to sell a cell phone even if its financed.) The reason I sold the phones was because of some financial stress that had fallen on me. Anyway he knew all about this and now he is demanding I pay this huge sum of money and saying he never knew I had all the lines I did etc. But that is a lie! He went with me to the store and added me the account as well as helped me set up the first 3 lines. I honestly think he helped me out only because he thought I would want a romantic relationship with him and I do not. I never said I did and I never did or said anything that should have given him that impression! I honestly thought he was just trying to help me out and now its turned into this huge thing and he's saying I have to pay all this money and if I don't he will have me arrested for fraud or something like that. I have talked to a local attorney who told me this was a joke and there was nothing the police or da could do because I had permission however it is hard to believe that attorney because when he was done talking he said "good luck to you." And hung up on me! It was very unprofessional and disrespectful so now I am here trying to find an answer to put my mind at ease. I know I have not committed a crime however I don't exactly trust the judicial system because of some horrible experiences when I was a minor. Please help me my anixt

I agree with the lawyer. You aren't likely to get arrested for this.

But you do owe your friend money that spent on this phone deal. And you can be sued for it.

I agree with the lawyer. You aren't likely to get arrested for this.

But you do owe your friend money that spent on this phone deal. And you can be sued for it.
I agree with owing him the money and I have agreed to pay it but he is insisting on me paying everything all at once. He keeps calling me and driving past my house and he is trying to make me feel like I did something underhanded when that isnt even close to the truth! I am so confused and shocked by this behavior and trust me if I had all of that right now I would pay it just so I didn't have to deal with him anymore!

I have agreed to pay it

No offense, but talking about paying isn't paying, paying is paying. If you have any money, send what you have and keep careful records.

He keeps calling me and driving past my house

Consider taking out a restraining order to prevent him stalking you.

if I had all of that right now I would pay it

If you don't have it all, pay some. Then keep paying what you can, when you can, until it's all paid.

He keeps calling me and driving past my house and he is trying to make me feel like I did something underhanded...

You could seek a restraining order to end contact. His option is to sue you for what he thinks you owe.
He can't have you arrested. Police would only refer him to civil court.
If you are on the account you are likely equally responsible for whatever bill is received, regardless of the address the bill might be sent to.
If you can't come to an agreement with him then a judge will determine what you owe if he decides to take it that far. You don't have to meet his demands.

You could seek a restraining order to end contact. His option is to sue you for what he thinks you owe.
He can't have you arrested. Police would only refer him to civil court.
If you are on the account you are likely equally responsible for whatever bill is received, regardless of the address the bill might be sent to.
If you can't come to an agreement with him then a judge will determine what you owe if he decides to take it that far. You don't have to meet his demands.

Thank you. I am responsible for my part 9f the bill and I have never disputed that or tried to get out of paying it. He is just turning everything into way more than it is. He is demanding I pay everything in full not just the bill but the devices as well because I have asked him to leave me alone and when he didn't I told him I no longer wanted to be on his account and that the only communication we needed to have was concerning the bill and payments and that I wanted everything in writing such as text,email etc. He is insisting that we have to talk on the phone only and when I refused that is when this all really blew up. Again I appreciate the reply!

No strangers can say what a particular DA can or can't do, insofar as prosecuting you.

Good luck to you.

No strangers can say what a particular DA can or can't do, insofar as prosecuting you.

Good luck to you.
It's not a crime so a DA can not prosecute someone who hasn't committed a crime. There was no fraud I didn't steal from anyone and I was in the account just as he was. There for there is no crime. I am more concerned with how he is behaving

While on thier plan they knew I had started the lines I did and they knew I had sold some of the phones as we discussed it.

Huh? And who are "they"?

Anyway he knew all about this and now he is demanding I pay this huge sum of money and saying he never knew I had all the lines I did etc.

Who is "he"? On what basis is he demanding that you "pay [a] huge sum of money"? How much money?

so now I am here trying to find an answer to put my mind at ease.

An answer to what? You have five posts in this thread but didn't ask a single question.

It's not a crime so a DA can not prosecute someone who hasn't committed a crime. There was no fraud I didn't steal from anyone and I was in the account just as he was. There for there is no crime. I am more concerned with how he is behaving

Ok, so you know you didn't commit a crime, etc., etc. but you're "concerned with how he is behaving." What exactly do you think anonymous strangers on the internet can do to help you with that?

Back