being sued

P

penny lane

over a year ago my parents called and asked my husband and I if we would convert our finished basement into an apartment for them, they would pay for the materials and my husband would do the work, we agreed to help them, due to our differing religious beliefs they did not want to stay and they moved out, now they are suing us for the money they gave us to buy the materials and moving expenses, medical expenses and money they gave us to help with the increase in the utilities due to them living in our home, there was no agreement made that if they decided to leave we would reimburse them. what are our rights?

over a year ago my parents called and asked my husband and I if we would convert our finished basement into an apartment for them, they would pay for the materials and my husband would do the work, we agreed to help them, due to our differing religious beliefs they did not want to stay and they moved out, now they are suing us for the money they gave us to buy the materials and moving expenses, medical expenses and money they gave us to help with the increase in the utilities due to them living in our home, there was no agreement made that if they decided to leave we would reimburse them. what are our rights?

Rights don't apply in civil suits.
If you are sued, you simply defend.
In the situation you describe, I see no successful lawsuit for your parents.
I suggest you decline to comment further, as I'm sure they'll continue to prattle on about "this and that".
If you are sued, you appear and defend.
Your defense is just as you described it here, you acceded to their request, you regret their decision to move, and you owe them NOTHING!

Back