Being sued for fender bender

D

dumbfounded

Jurisdiction
Virginia
I was notified by my insurance company that I'm being sued for a minor fender bender that happened in 2014. I bumped into the back of someone in a gas station parking lot (I thought they were pulling out to turn and then they stopped). The whole thing was at less than 5 mph. My insurance paid the damages to fix their car back in 2014. The police did respond to the incident but they said it was "not reportable" so there wasn't any ticket and there is no police report. So there's no evidence other than the insurance claim itself. Now they are alleging there was an adult passenger in the car who injured her back, needed multiple chiropractic visits, missed time and wages at work etc. My insurance company told me however the person suing me was involved in another car accident about two weeks later, I don't know much about that incident yet. My insurance company assigned me a lawyer to handle my case but my question is do I need to get a lawyer of my own too? I'm dumbfounded about how they can even win a case when there is no evidence. Or how I defend myself when it's simply my word against theirs.

do I need to get a lawyer of my own too?

No.

At least not unless the lawsuit is for more than your policy limits, and even then, probably not, as most claims like this get settled within policy limits without going to court.

how I defend myself

You don't have to. Your insurance company will defend you if the claim is spurious.

Just understand, however, that your policy gives your insurance company the right to settle if expedient.

It's the first paragraph of the Liability section of your policy.

The lawyer for the insurance company should be sufficient, however it wouldn't hurt to have a consultation with a lawyer of your own.

Gotta love the 2 years later back injuries from the parking lot bump. In the meantime life was good; they probably went sky diving. Let the insurance deal with it; you pay them a ton of money to represent you.

Back