Being sued for faxing a flyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddy31

I recently received a letter from an attorney claiming I was being sued for faxing someone a flyer for my business. I have a small business that I sometimes fax these flyers out to business offering my services. When the initial fax was sent the gentleman called me and complained and I told him he wouldn't be faxed again which he wasn't. He found an attorney online that promises cash for your junk faxes upon settlement of the case. The problem is I didnt know I needed to have an opt out clause on the bottom of the fax. My business is literally a side business where I have minimal assets. The attorney states I could settle the case for $500 or they will bring me to court where they will try to sue me for triple that plus court fees. I know these faxs could be annoying to some people but sueing over 1 fax is a little ridiculous. I feel like Im being extorted by this attorney. I spoke to a few attorneys that I know and they said dont worry about it. Should I pay the $500 or not. My business literally has a few hundred in our account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back